Image: Wikimedia Commons/ Dun Deagh

Northumbria named as UK University of the Year 2022

Northumbria University, Newcastle, has been named University of the Year 2022 in the Time Higher Education (THE) Awards.

The university was recognised for both its exceptional research performance and a series of initiatives to advance the institution’s reputation.

Northumbria’s vision of becoming a “challenger” university offering a “credible alternative to more established institutions” was first set out in 2008 and was completed in 2021 with a Research Excellence Framework (REF) submission that recorded the biggest rise in research power of any UK university for the second REF in a row.

Northumbria moved up 27 places to 23rd, having previously risen to 50th in 2014, from 80th in 2008.

The judges also praised Northumbria’s active role in its city and region. They noted that the institution drew 40% of undergraduates under the age of 21 from widening participation backgrounds and that it had placed as many graduates into highly-skilled jobs across the northeast as all the Russell Group institutions combined.

The panel said: “The scale of [Northumbria’s] ambition, the rigour and effectiveness with which it has been pursued, and its role in transforming lives and supporting its region all make it a deserving winner.”

The awards have been dubbed the ‘Oscars of higher education’, and a win is considered highly prestigious.

Professor Andy Long, vice-chancellor and chief executive of Northumbria, said: “Our ambition is to give all students with the potential and ability the opportunity to benefit from a Northumbria education.

“Winning this award shows that the education we give our students is enriched by research – but I genuinely believe what sets us apart from others is that 40% of these students are from traditionally low-participation backgrounds. Along with all our students, they learn from researchers and academics, participate in research and co-create knowledge.

“To be shortlisted for such a prestigious and internationally-recognised award was a remarkable achievement in itself – to go on and win is a true milestone in the University’s history and in the work of my many outstanding colleagues.

“Northumbria has undergone an extraordinary transition. The dedication of everyone at the university has made this possible, and it is thanks to them that we can now celebrate this phenomenal success.”

His views were echoed by Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson, the university’s chancellor, who said: “When I was invited to become Chancellor at Northumbria there were two things that stood out. The first was the people, who are extraordinary, and the second was the level of ambition. It wasn’t about being a bit better, it was about being the absolute best they could be.

“Winning THE University of the Year award recognises these qualities for all to see. It is amazing to be part of an institution where the vision has become a reality and I congratulate everyone at the University.”

This year’s THE awards attracted more than 550 entries, with over 70 institutions and teams being shortlisted.

Other winners on the night included the University of York for International Collaboration of the Year. The University of Bristol’s Andrew Radford won the award for Outstanding Research Supervisor of the Year, and Dame Mary Beard was presented with THE Outstanding Achievement Award.