Ronnie O'Sullivan
Image: WIkimedia Commons/DerHexer

Champion of Champions snooker – Day 6: O’Sullivan beats Zhengyi to set up Trump clash

On Friday night, Judd Trump made it into the 2022 Champion of Champions final with an impressive 6-3 victory over Mark Selby – the four-time world champion could do little as he was simply outplayed by his opponent. Trump needed an opponent for the final, and it would be either Ronnie O’Sullivan or Fan Zhengyi. It was hard not to feel that O’Sullivan was the favourite, but a shadow hung over the encounter – Zhengyi booked his place in this event with a shock 10-9 European Masters victory over the seven-time world champion. So who would advance? Here’s what happened when O’Sullivan and Zhengyi clashed on day six.

The major question was who would get off to the best start in this best-of-11 clash. O’Sullivan immediately left Zhengyi a chance with a red over the pocket, but he missed the next black. The world champion responded by missing a long red, and it looked like Zhengyi would seize the frame, but he broke down on 35 and missed a pink off its spot. O’Sullivan then had a massive fluke on a tough black, and built a frame-winning clearance of 89 from it. Zhengyi produced another chance in frame two with an excellent cut on a red, before missing the next black and leaving it over the bottom-left pocket. O’Sullivan responded with a century break of 117 to move 2-0 ahead.

After Zhengyi missed a tough cut, O’Sullivan produced one – but he lost the table after potting a red off the black. The Chinese player made 38 before a poor shot choice led to safety. After a brief battle, Zhengyi found a long pot, and performed brilliantly until he missed frame-ball red. O’Sullivan aimed to force a re-spot, but missed a long red (something he’s done a lot this tournament), and so Zhengyi put his first frame on the board. After a fantastic safety battle in frame four, O’Sullivan found a pot to the left middle and had the table at his mercy – he made 86, and it was 3-1 at the interval.

O’Sullivan made another break of 75 to seal the deal, defeating the Chinese player 6-2 and advancing to the final

Zhengyi had first chance, but it was a tough one – he missed, leaving O’Sullivan an awkward table. He did well to make 45, before playing safe. Zhengyi tried a long red and missed it, leaving it on – O’Sullivan seized the advantage to leave Zhengyi in a horrible snooker behind the yellow, itself close to the top cushion. He left a red as he failed to escape, and a 55 break by O’Sullivan made it 4-1.

It was first chance Zhengyi in frame six, as he potted an excellent long red after O’Sullivan’s break – however, he overran position after compiling 32. A safety battle ensued, and O’Sullivan found a long pot to snooker Zhengyi on the brown. In his escape, he left the white among the reds. From there, O’Sullivan made 62 before missing the green. Zhengyi opted to fight on for snookers, but his first effort left a brown that O’Sullivan cut into to lead 5-1.

To mount a comeback now was the tallest of orders. Zhengyi attacked with his safety, leaving O’Sullivan a red over the corner and a fairly open table. But O’Sullivan missed a surprising blue trying to force an angle, and Zhengyi had an unexpected chance. He grabbed it with both hands, making a 123 to cut O’Sullivan’s lead. It looked all over in frame eight, as O’Sullivan compiled 53 before a split on the reds went wrong. Zhengyi had a tough red and went for it – he missed, and O’Sullivan made another break of 75 to seal the deal, defeating the Chinese player 6-2 and advancing to the final to face Judd Trump.