Judd Trump
Image: Wikimedia Commons/Martin Rulsch

Champion of Champions snooker – Day 3: dominance from Judd Trump

Half the field has already played in this year’s Champion of Champions, and we have two of the four quarter-finalists. On the third day, a third name would join Mark Selby and Fan Zhengyi in the latter stages of the tournament – but would it be Judd Trump, Luca Brecel, Mark Allen or Joe Perry? Here’s what happened on day three.

The first match of the day pitted Trump against Brecel. Trump’s appearance was guaranteed as defending champion, but he also won the 2022 Turkish Masters and was runner-up in the World Championship, while the Belgian player boasted 2022 Championship League and 2021 Scottish Open titles. Trump swiftly opened up a 1-0 lead with an 87 break, and Brecel levelled after a tactical second frame. Trump made a 57 in frame three before jumping the black, but Brecel couldn’t capitalise on the mistake – it was even worse for the Belgian player when frame four went the way of Trump too.

The table went incredibly messy in frame five, leading to a re-rack, and one that helped Brecel put a much-needed frame on the board to keep the match alive. He fought valiantly to win the next frame, with both players suffering awkward splits and snookers, but Trump did enough to win the frame after Brecel tried a one-handed pot. A 4-2 score line put the defending champion in the night’s quarter-final.

It was a dominant display from start to finish, with Trump advancing 6-1

Then it was Allen against Perry, both here on home nation triumphs – Perry won this year’s Welsh Open, while Allen won the Northern Ireland Open ten days before today’s match, the last name to join the field. It looked a close-fought match at 2-2, but then Allen started to push ahead, and Perry could do little to respond. Allen made an excellent 110 to win the fifth frame. Perry had chances in frame six, but he could only manage to put seven points on the board – Allen, showing the incredible run of form that he’s exhibited all season, swiftly closed out the match and won 4-2.

It was all Trump to begin the final against Allen. He compiled a break of 71 and Allen returned to the table with a tall order to earn snookers with 59 left on – a Trump 54 closed the first frame. Frame two, and although Trump went in-off on 78, it was enough to move two frames in front. Allen made 46 in frame three, before leaving Trump an easy starter, and a break of 64 (which included an excellent cut to middle) made it 3-0. Allen needed to respond, and he did, with a century break of 103 to get on the scoreboard before the interval.

A poor safety by Allen gave Trump the first chance, and he responded with a century of his own, making it 4-1 with a 104. It was an even quicker visit in frame six, Trump picking a long red off Allen’s break and making a 79 to move within one of victory. Allen needed something special if he was going to stay in the match – he made a 39 in frame seven before running out of position, and he played safe. Trump made a superb plant that led to an 80 break, one that featured a tough pot down a cushion, and Allen would not be returning to the table. It was a dominant display from start to finish, with Trump advancing 6-1.

As a result of this match, Trump will face Mark Selby in the semi-finals – the two have played phenomenally to reach the semis, and the match promises to be a fantastic one.