Image: Robert Cutts/Flickr

“Warm” social spaces part of University of Bristol cost-of-living measures

The University of Bristol has set out its measures to help its community get through the cost-of-living crisis and upcoming winter, including offering free warm spaces.

Sarah Purdy, the university’s Vice-Chancellor for student experience, told Bristol’s student body via email: “We are acutely aware of the effects of the rising cost-of-living on our community and have been working with Bristol SU to implement a range of measures.

“If you are struggling with money, or want some advice, please do reach out and speak to someone.”

Purdy added: “Study and social spaces are also available for students to keep warm if they are struggling to heat their homes, including free tea and coffee, as well as microwaves, available in the SU’s social spaces.”

The university’s students’ union website also advertises free warm spaces on their premises where students can “study or relax.”

Further measures offered by the university include freeing up around 200 affordable rooms for accommodation, free hot drinks and use of microwaves across campus, and discounted gym memberships for those already receiving bursaries.

The university is also looking to expand the number of jobs available on campus to create an income stream for more students.

Purdy added in her email to all Bristol students: “‘To help students who are struggling this year, we have increased the amount we have available in our Financial Assistance Fund from £600,000 to £1million, and our £100,000 Digital Support Fund continues to help students with the cost of IT equipment and connectivity.”