Image: Adam Jones/ Wikimedia Commons

Number of Northern Ireland students starting university falls in 2022

The number of students from Northern Ireland (NI) accepted into university this year has fallen, according to figures published by the University and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).

This news comes despite NI pupils outperforming those in other nations across the UK as A-level exams were taken for the first time since the start of the Covid pandemic. UCAS also confirmed that there have been fewer places available in Northern Ireland universities for local students, despite reports that a record proportion of students from the nation had applied to courses.

According to the UCAS figures, around 13,560 NI students (approximately 8,000 women and 5,600 men) were accepted to start a course at university by 22 September. This is equivalent to around 40.7% of 18-year-olds starting an undergraduate course. The entry figures at the same stage in both 2020 and 2021 were around 14,900. Percentage-wise, it is an increase in the last year exams were held in 2019 when just over 35% of 18-year-olds started at university. There is an even greater decline in new students aged over 21, with 1,750 entering university in 2022 compared to 2,200 last year. The majority of students remain in Northern Ireland, with 9,600 staying at home, down around 1,000 from the same time in 2020 and 600 fewer than last year. Approximately 3,140 have gone to England, 690 to Scotland and 220 to Wales.

The number of Northern Ireland students heading to university in the Republic of Ireland has also fallen, from 677 in 2021 to 650 this month, according to separate figures released by the Irish Central Applications Office (CAO). There are around 600 fewer places for courses at universities in Northern Ireland this year compared to 2021 and 1,000 fewer places than in 2020.

The number of students from Northern Ireland that Northern Ireland’s universities can admit is capped. The Maximum Aggregate Student Number (MASN) cap is set by the Department for the Economy and depends on how much funding is available from the department. Universities can recruit unlimited numbers of students from elsewhere in the UK and internationally.

These numbers are in contrast to the nationwide picture, which shows record numbers of 18-year-olds starting higher education this academic year. Figures released on Thursday 22 September show 275,390 students have been accepted onto a course, higher than the 272,500 (by 1%) last year and up from 239,460 in 2019 (by 15%) – the last time results were based on exams. The overall university entry rate for 18-year-olds is 37.3%.