Image: Gerald England/ Geograph

Location of Warwick University professor remains unknown

Tom Marsh, professor of Astronomy at the University of Warwick, has remained unseen since 16 September 2022. The professor was last seen at the La Silla Observatory in Atacama Desert, Chile, where he was visiting the European Southern Observatory.

The University of Warwick has released three statements currently. First, on Tuesday 4 October, Professor Chris Ennew, Provost of the University of Warwick, stated: “We are in regular contact with Tom’s wife…and family.”

She reinforced in the statement that he was: “Hopeful that Tom will be found.” Furthermore, she assured that, “colleagues from across the institution are working hard to offer practical, logistical support.”

In their statement, it was also made clear that a “team who have in-depth knowledge of the mountainous terrain” were working on trying to find Tom.

On Monday 26 September, Ennew listed the University’s actions, stating they have been in “contact with the family” and are “working with Warwickshire Police, ESO and Chilean authorities.” Moreover, she stated that the University had: “Mobilised the Universities Major Incident Team”, who have been meeting daily.

On 22 September, six days after he was last seen, Professor Ennew released the first statement which outlined that “local emergency services were undertaking an extensive search.”

As the search continued, it was conducted through the means of drones and dogs along with surveillance footage over an area of 4,942 acres.

Warwickshire police are in contact with the Foreign Commonwealth and the Development Office (FCDO) Interpol and Chilean authorities, along with specialists supporting Marsh’s family.

Emergency services are working with the family attempting to understand his pathing. Keys to his room were also found in Tom’s disappearance.

The student with the professor has been under investigation by Police and Prosecution Office but was allowed the freedom to exit Chile. It has been surmised that the student was likely the last to speak with the professor. Marsh had visited this observatory before and it was common to do so with a student.

According to Vega with Gope, PDI, Onemi, and the Chilean Army, a job has also been done. Their areas of search have been focused on mostly walkable land that would’ve been most accessible to Tom Marsh on foot.

Presidential delegate Ruben Quezada plans to update the work already done and handle a meeting. Much of the support comes from the Presidential Delegation and the PDI and Carabineros lookout planes allowing information to be forwarded to the Prosecutor’s office.

The regional Prosecutor, Adrian Vega, understood that the doctoral student who travelled with Tom Marsh arrived only two days before.

Tom’s family made a statement to the Warwickshire police where they implored “anyone who may have any information on his whereabouts to please help.”

The Warwickshire police also have a page where any information that people may have on his location is provided and a number that can be called through +44 1926 415000 internationally.