BREAKING: Warwick Integrated Science Society speaker event postponed due to ‘security’ issues

A speaker event run by Warwick Integrated Science Society, featuring the Trans-activist Katy Montgomerie, was called off yesterday as the society and University could not provide the security required to keep the event safe.

The society said they missed the deadline to register the speaker and event with campus security and the SU, and as a result, were forced to postpone the event until a later date.

Societies are required to inform the SU of speaker events at least 21 days in advance of the event.

Katy Montgomerie, the booked speaker, has received online hatred for past social media posts. She said about the postponement, “Really disappointed to have to announce that my talk at Warwick University has been postponed due to “controversy surrounding the talk [requiring] increased security.

“Ironic that a talk about combatting hatred was postponed because of hatred.”

Montgomerie added, “Feeling a bit crushed, but I understand and the University have said they can book me in for (hopefully) later this year and there will be increased security for that date. I’m going to do it, I’m not letting the transphobic hate mob stop me before I’ve even started.”

The University of Warwick tweeted about the cancellation, saying, “Encouraging free and open debate has always been fundamental to who we are and what we do at Warwick.

“We’re aware of an event organised independently of the University through our Students’ Union, and we’re currently establishing the reasons behind why it has been postponed.”

The University sent an update tweet later saying, “We’ve looked into why
Katy Montgomerie’s talk on campus has been postponed. We can confirm that this was due to an administrative error by the organisers, which meant the event could not go ahead on the current date.

“We support @WarwickSU’s decision, and we will work with the SU on plans for a future date.”