Image: Robin Webster/ Wikimedia Commons

ICL students concerned about ‘phallic’ Antony Gormley sculpture

A “phallic” sculpture by Sir Antony Gormley intended for Imperial College London (ICL) has attracted student backlash.

According to students, the 20ft (6m) piece, named ‘Alert’, looks like a man with an erect penis. A motion published by the Imperial College Union aiming to prevent the installation says that the artwork may “hurt the image and reputation of the college” because of its “obvious” imagery.

The artwork is set to be installed this summer at the university’s campus in South Kensington, housed by the newly-made Dangoor Plaza, as part of a major development.

According to a planning report, the “abstract human figure” will be made out of steel and weigh 67 tonnes. In a statement on the university website, Sir Antony said: “Through the conversion of anatomy into an architectural construction I want to re-assess the relation between body and space. Balancing on the balls of the feet while squatting on its haunches and surveying the world around it the attitude of this sculpture is alive, alert and awake.”

The union said: “While the artist’s intended form may ‘[evoke our] community of scientific research’ the phallic interpretation does not. The name ‘Alert’ could also be understood as referring to the statue’s phallus being erect.” It notes that the phallus in question – which Gormley intended as a protruding knee – extends “approximately three metres horizontally”, which is around half the total height of the sculpture.

The motion suggests that the phallic interpretation may be considered “exclusionary”, due to a gender imbalance of both students and staff at ICL.

It states that there is “nothing inherently wrong with phallic imagery in art” but that the “phallic interpretation’s preoccupation with the penis could be considered inappropriate for a grand public display, especially given the statue’s size”.

Kensington and Chelsea Council gave the university planning permission last year for the sculpture.

A report by council officers said: “The proposed works are acceptable from a design perspective and would preserve the special architectural and historic interest, character and significance of the listed building and the character and appearance of the conservation area.

“Furthermore, the works would not result in material harm to living conditions and it has been demonstrated that the proposals are unlikely to unduly affect surrounding trees.”

Last year, Sir Anthony’s iron sculptures installed on a beach in Aldeburgh were found to violate local planning laws, and were described by local residents as resembling “sex toys”.