Image: Wikimedia Commons/Chris Czermak
Image: Wikimedia Commons/Chris Czermak

Emma Raducanu dominates Williams and Azarenka in Cincinnati

With the US Open fast approaching, all eyes are on British number one Emma Raducanu to see if she can defend her title. It was an unexpected run, and although she now enters this tournament a known quantity, there’s no reason she couldn’t replicate it this year. Particularly as, during her preparations at the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati, Raducanu has already claimed two big scalps – Serena Williams and Victoria Azarenka – and with surprising ease.

Williams entered the match with the spectre of her retirement hanging over her head – the US Open will be the final event of her career. In many ways, the match-up of Raducanu and Williams looking to be a superstar of the future clashing with one of tennis’ greatest ever players – it was a symbolic draw, but one eventually that put a dampener on the 23-time Grand Slam champion’s farewell tour.

Any hope for a fairy-tale win for Williams swiftly dissipated as her opponent demonstrated her form. Raducanu kept up the pressure on her rival with a composed performance marked by a strong serve and groundstrokes, failed to be cowed by Williams’ reputation. Williams’ serve was broken to love in the first game, a marker that would set the tone for the match. Radcanu broke serve again for a 4-1 lead, and although Williams fought back, she was unable to prevent her opponent winning the first set 6-4. From then on, it was all Raducanu, who swiftly swept to a 6-0 win in the second set, taking the match – she had a single unforced error all match in a ruthless showing.

Raducanu was 4-0 up in the second set before Azarenka even got onto the scoreboard with back-to-back holds

Raducanu’s success over Williams put her up against another formidable opponent – former world number one Azarenka. Again, the English player was on form, employing her powerful forehand and taking advantage of missed returns to win the first set 6-0 in just 26 minutes. She wasn’t letting the momentum stop, and Raducanu was 4-0 up in the second set before Azarenka even got onto the scoreboard with back-to-back holds. But really, there was little the Belarusian player could do in the face of her opponent – she offered a little fight when Raducanu served for the match, earning two break points and saving one match point – and Raducanu soon won 6-2.

After these wins, Raducanu advanced to the last 16, where she faced Jessica Pegula. The American was always bound to be a sterner test, as she knocked the starlet out of the tournament, but Raducanu remains in solid form ahead of her US Open defence.