Image: Graham Lee Photography

Up to 40,000 people to attend Warwick graduations this summer

The University of Warwick will host its largest ever graduation season, with as many 40,000 students and guests expected to visit in the coming weeks.

It is the first time in two years that graduation ceremonies are in-person.

Students who achieved their degrees in 2020 and 2021 have been invited back for a full in-person celebration.

Thanks to Covid-19, these cohorts were offered online graduation events only in their final years.

In a press statement, the University said it meant they could, “formally mark their achievements and celebrate the culmination of years of hard work and dedication.”

The graduation ceremonies will take place in Butterworth Hall in Warwick Arts Centre. As normal, there will be mortar boards, gowns, and the awarding of degree certificates.

The University has also set up what it describes as a “festival style site” on Windmill Hill. It is equipped with fairground rides, music, and food and drink stalls.

2020 and 2021 graduate ceremonies will finish on July 15, while ceremonies for the 2022 graduates will run from July 18-27.

Joshua Rawcliffe, a 2020 Economics graduate, said: “I’m really excited to come back to Warwick and celebrate with the people I did my degree with, and to come back to campus after a couple of years away.”

“This will be the biggest graduation celebration event we have ever hosted at Warwick.”

–Vice-Chancellor Stuart Croft

The Vice-Chancellor of the University of Warwick, Professor Stuart Croft, said: “After two years without graduation ceremonies, it is wonderful to welcome our graduates back to campus to be awarded their degree certificates in person.

“Those students who graduated in 2020 and 2021 went through a difficult and challenging time, missing out on many aspects of university life, including of course the traditional graduation ceremony. That’s why it was so important to recognise their achievements and give them opportunity to come back and celebrate in style with their family and friends.

“This will be the biggest graduation celebration event we have ever hosted at Warwick – and I have already seen the joy it has brought to so many people as they enjoy each other’s company, share memories and catch up on future plans.”