Newly created role ‘Director of Student Experience’ at University of Warwick filled by Adele Browne

Adele Browne has been hired by the University of Warwick to fill the new role of Director of Student Experience where she will be expected to lead a team to improve and enhance student experience at Warwick. 

Browne said: “I am delighted to be joining Warwick and eager to start my work focused on excellence and innovation in the student experience, which has perhaps never been more in the spotlight in higher education than now. 

“My focus will be on finding the most effective ways to bring Warwick students’ diverse perspectives, knowledge and ideas into the shaping of their own university experience, aiming together for the best collective success and for spearheading change across the sector.” 

Browne’s qualifications for this job span over a 22 year career in higher education. She worked in roles managing study abroad exchanges for undergraduate students at the University of Sussex for 10 years. 

Acting as an executive member of the European Association of International Education, she focused on the support of students with disabilities when studying abroad. 

Browne also took the lead on two large partnership projects focused on retaining graduates in Leicester, targeting interactions between students and businesses to develop mutual opportunities. Her most recent role as Head of Graduate Success at De Montfort University has given her “oversight of external engagement, co-curricular skills programmes, career guidance, placements and enterprise”. 

“There is ever greater recognition just how much a sense of belonging, and feeling part of a community, are essential for students’ wellbeing and ability to be themselves and benefit from all aspects of university life.”

–Adele Browne

Warwick University has said: “The Director of Student Experience is the responsible officer for advocating and maintaining the strategy for working with students to build an excellent and inclusive student experience at Warwick, placing student engagement and inclusion at the heart of service design.” 

Browne will be required to work “horizontally and holistically across the University” with an array of departments, with a close connection to the Dean of Students Office. 

In a statement made to The Boar, Browne said: “One of my first priorities is to fully understand the services, opportunities and support which are currently in place for all our students. This will help me identify where there may be gaps in the quantity or quality of provision for different groups and to assess whether our activities and services are truly inclusive or not.”

She has suggested that obtaining student feedback will be a key aspect of her role to avoid making assumptions so that the University are “instead recognising and valuing different backgrounds, different ambitions and understanding what our students need”. 

The Boar also asked why this role had been created. Browne responded: “There is ever greater recognition just how much a sense of belonging, and feeling part of a community, are essential for students’ wellbeing and ability to be themselves and benefit from all aspects of university life.” Browne and the University believe the creation of this role will strengthen Warwick’s position in regards to supporting students. 

Browne ended: “Fundamentally, my role is about working directly with students to ensure that the Warwick student experience is beneficial for everyone who studies here to thrive.”