Most UK universities are unaware of student suicide rates, investigation finds

The majority of universities in the UK do not know how many of their students take their own lives, an investigation by National World has revealed

They submitted a Freedom of Information (FOI) request to all universities in the UK regarding how many suicides had occurred amongst their student bodies since 2018.

59% of UK universities who replied to the FOI request said they did not hold the number of their students to have died by suicide in this time period. Five others refused to give this information. At least 120 students have been revealed to have taken their own lives whilst enrolled at the remaining 42 universities, according to National World.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) has identified 319 student suicides in higher education between the academic years 2017 and 2020. The ONS also notes that suicide rates are lower amongst students than the general population of the same age categories.

The Office for Students states: “The death of a student is likely to have a significant impact on a university or college community. In the case of death by suicide, this impact may well be profound.”

Universities play a “crucial” role with regards to student mental health, according to Professor Steve West, President of Universities UK (which represents 140 higher education institutions). 

The Ministry of Justice told National World that coroners are “already obliged to issue a Prevention of Future Deaths report if they identify any circumstances that need addressing”, and reports are sent to “anyone involved that could take appropriate action, including universities”.

Samaritans, a charity that supports those struggling with mental health issues, said: “Only a third of people who die by suicide have been in contact with specialist mental health services in the year before their death” but that “suicides are preventable with timely, evidence-based interventions”.

Help is available for anyone affected by this issue:

Samaritans: Call them for free on 116 123, email them at jo@samaritans.org, or visit www.samaritans.org to find your nearest branch.