Image: Number 10/Flickr

Civil service pauses fast-track graduate scheme to cut numbers

The civil service is freezing its popular fast-track graduate scheme in 2023 to accommodate for job cuts within the civil service. 

This move, which is expected to last for at least one year, comes after the government revealed plans to reduce the size of the civil service to 2016 levels. 

This will involve the reduction of 91,000 staff – a cut to one in five jobs

The fast-track graduate scheme is considered to be the civil service’s ‘flagship’ programme, attracting some of Britain’s most talented graduates to a life in the public sector. As a result, it is a highly competitive scheme, receiving over 59,000 applications in 2021, with just over 1,000 people being successful. 

While there were 384,000 civil servants working in Britain in 2016 – which is the lowest number since the Second World War – the number of staff steadily increased to 475,000 at the end of last year as the government drew upon extra assistance to help the country navigate the challenges of Brexit and the pandemic.  

The scheme represents only a very small proportion of recruitments to the civil service, and the planned pause is intended to reverse these staffing increases. 

Speaking to The Independent, a government spokesperson said that the government’s focus is on improving the “efficiency” of the civil service and that the change in recruitment rules intends to “bring in the very best talent and are investing in the professional development of our people.” 

The spokesperson emphasised the need to save money and ensure that all taxpayer spending provides “value for money.”

The decision has been met with criticism, with former Cabinet Minister, Sir David Lidington, labelling it as “very foolish.”

Mr Lidington’s comments were complimentary of the fast-track scheme, saying that it provides “super-bright young officials around the table” who challenge the conventionality that can be found in government departments. 

Mr Lidington’s comments appear to have captured the sentiment of those opposed to the move. Another ex-minister, David Gauke, added: “This is not something a serious government with an interest in competent administration would do.”

Alex Thomas, a programme director at the Institute for Government thinktank, told The Guardian: Focusing on headcount reductions rather than budget savings can create perverse incentives, skewing towards losing the cheaper and younger talent rather than making bigger efficiencies elsewhere.”