Image: The Boar

Hundreds attend Eurovision screening at Warwick piazza

As many as a thousand people assembled beneath the big screen in the piazza on central campus to watch the final of the Eurovision Song Contest on Saturday night.

It was the first time the traditional Warwick event had happened since before the pandemic.

“I remember when Warwick Eurovision was just an idea and to see so many people show up today for the grand final, moved me in a way I never thought it would.”

–Warwick Eurovision Society President Gaby Shedwick

Warwick Eurovision Society President Gaby Shedwick wrote on social media after the event, “Pride doesn’t quite cover how I’m feeling right now.

“I remember when Warwick Eurovision was just an idea and to see so many people show up today for the grand final, moved me in a way I never thought it would.

‘Thank you immensely if you came to watch the grand final today and a huge congratulations to Sam Ryder for the best UK placing for a long long time – let’s hope it’s a sign of what is to come.

“I cannot wait to see where warwickeurovision goes from here, but the only way is up.”

Ukraine’s Kalush Orchestra won after receiving a huge 439 points from the public. The UK came second for the first time since 1998, thanks to its act, Sam Ryder.

Behind the UK, Spain finished third, Sweden fourth and Serbia fifth.

This year the show was hosted in Turin, after Italy’s win last year.

Images: The Boar/ Eden Fall-Bailey (first two images) and Gaby Shedwick (last two images).