Durham University’s biggest donor cuts ties over Covid restrictions
Image: Flickr/ Roger

Durham University’s biggest donor in recent years has withdrawn his financial support over Covid restrictions at the institution.

Speaking to Palatinate, Mark Hillery criticised the university’s “ridiculous and ineffective” rules, and said that students were being left as the “final members of society” to be subjected to restrictions.

The university received £7 million from Mr Hillery between 2015 and 2021, making him its biggest individual donor during the time period. He has been an actively engaged alumnus for more than two decades, hosting numerous finance-related talks.

He also funded the 200-seat Mark Hillery Arts Centre, a yoga and pilates studio, bar conservatory, and also sponsored the construction of a recording studio and music practice rooms.

However, he has now stated that he will not “visit Durham again while there is a single Covid-related rule imposed on the students”. He has also resigned from Collingwood College’s external advisory board, and informed both the college and the university that he wishes to cease all dialogue.

University guidance last academic year largely fell within government guidelines, but Durham has returned to online teaching for the majority of courses in the first two weeks of this term. Currently Department for Education (DfE) guidelines say institutions should “ensure that they deliver face-to-face teaching without restrictions”.

Durham explained the policy by citing the need to “monitor local and national case rates, with a changed community prevalence, and ensure that our Covid controls are appropriate”.

A ‘test to participate’ scheme has also been in place at Durham throughout the year, which requires students wishing to participate in ‘wider student experience’ activities – including visiting college bars, playing college sport, and attending formals – to have evidence of a negative lateral flow test taken up to 48 hours prior at a university testing site.

Other alumni might be looking at this and saying: ‘What’s going wrong with Durham, are they not employing the right Covid policies?’

–Max Kendix

Face coverings continue to be compulsory throughout Durham University spaces, though government guidance maintains that “no student should be denied education on the groups that they are, or are not, wearing a face covering”.

Mr Hillery described the policy as “an unequivocal disgrace”, saying “the government was very specific about higher education establishments not resorting to online teaching again after the break – yet they virtually all did so anyway”.

Max Kendix, the editor of Palatinate, said that the loss of this support was a big blow “financially and reputationally” for Durham.

He said: “Other alumni might be looking at this and saying: ‘What’s going wrong with Durham, are they not employing the right Covid policies?”

“The reaction on campus has been quite muted. Most students are used to Covid policies and have lived through lockdowns, so now really feels quite free.

“So there is some tension there between what alumni are saying, what Mark Hillery is saying, and what students are saying.”

A spokesperson for the university said that Mr Hillery was “a generous benefactor”, and that it appreciated his support.

A statement on Covid rules at Durham reads: “In a few cases, we have some classes online because some staff have vulnerabilities or are self-isolating, and some students who have not yet been able to return from overseas.

“Our approach to managing the Covid-19 pandemic has always prioritised the health, safety and wellbeing of our staff, students and wider community.

“We have been guided at all times by the local trajectory of the pandemic which varied at different times across the UK.”

Durham is due to review the current test-to-participate scheme and mandatory use of face coverings in university buildings. Mr Hillery acknowledged this, but stated that “if the university turns around in a few weeks’ time and finally drops the insanity as a statement of policy then great, but it’s all far too little, too late”.