Image: Flickr / Steve Cadman

The Selecter’s Pauline Black to name Turner Prize winner in Coventry

Pauline Black, the lead singer of two-tone band The Selecter, is to announce the winner of this year’s Turner Prize.

Ms Black, who has lived in Coventry for over 50 years, will reveal the winner on 1 December at a ceremony at Coventry Cathedral.

She said it was an “honour” to be asked to present the prize.

The Turner Prize is awarded annually to an artist born, living, or working in Britain, for an outstanding exhibition or public presentation of their work anywhere in the world in the previous year.

The exhibition of the shortlisted works can be seen in the Herbert Art Gallery & Museum until 12 January 2022.

As part of its preparations for City of Culture 2021, the Herbert underwent a major redevelopment of its gallery spaces in anticipation of hosting this exhibition.

Every other year, the Turner Prize is staged outside of London, and it is being held in Coventry as part of City of Culture celebrations. This is the first time the prize has come to the West Midlands.

This is also the first time a Turner Prize jury has selected a shortlist consisting entirely of artist collectives, with the collaborative practices selected intended to reflect the solidarity and community demonstrated in response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Ms Black said: “On seeing and experiencing the exhibits, I was overwhelmed with the depth and breadth of the entries, and I applaud the shortlisted artists in capturing the sense of community and diversity among us that should be championed in all British culture.”

It is brilliant to have someone so central to the city’s artistic life and such a committed social activist to present the award

– Chenine Bhathena, creative director of Coventry UK City of Culture 2021

Chenine Bhathena, creative director of Coventry UK City of Culture 2021, said: “It is brilliant to have someone so central to the city’s artistic life and such a committed social activist to present the award.”

The winner is being decided by the Turner Prize 2021 jury including Aaron Cezar, director of the Delfina Foundation, Kim McAleese the programme director of Grand Union, actor Russell Tovey, and Zoé Whitley, director of the Chisenhale Gallery.

The jury is chaired by Alex Farquharson, the director of Tate Britain.

The winner will be awarded £25,000, with £10,000 awarded to each of the others shortlisted.