Flirting with fragrances: perfume and its power

I am a – self-proclaimed – perfume addict. As I am sitting, writing this right now, my rather extensive perfume collection is gazing down at me, its tantalizing scents just begging to be released and dance through the air. 

But first, what is so great about perfume? Surely, it is just overpriced, scented water. Technically, yes, perfume is a chemical concoction of scented water and yes, it is extremely expensive. But the power of fragrance is such that it can help capture the essence of a moment, freezing it in time like a metaphysical form of amber. 

After all, choosing to wear a particular scent for a particular day – say, the first date – will cause you to be transported through time upon wearing or smelling that fragrance again. In this sense, it may be one of the closest things we have to a time machine. 

Think deeply and honestly about what you want your fragrance to say to the world

Not to mention perfume is the invisible extra that can complete us, adding both potency and poise, charm and courage. It lingers long in the memory of those around us when our outfits have long been forgotten, and continue to captivate, curating an almost poetic memory. 

Fragrances are the soul of elegance. And that is why so many of us seek our signature scent. The scent that defines us. The one that evokes our essence before we have even entered a room. The one that conveys our story in silence. But this task is daunting, even overwhelming.  Yet it doesn’t have to be that way at all. 

The secret to discovering ‘the one’ should be a slow, contemplative process. Think deeply and honestly about what you want your fragrance to say to the world. 

Ensure that your everlasting fragrance offers the most honest reflection of your soul

If boldness is what you seek, then Yves Saint Laurent’s ‘Black Opium Eau de Parfum Intense’ might be for you. With seductive top notes of absinthe essence and boysenberry, heart notes including orange blossom and liquorice absolute, and base notes of sandalwood, vanilla, and black coffee accord, this fragrance promises to provoke and thrill forevermore. As a signature scent, it would demand attention endlessly. 

Signature scents can also be sought through associations to things you dearly love. Perhaps your favourite time of year is springtime. Why not create an eternal season through the use of ‘Gucci Flora Gorgeous Gardenia’, which promises delicate sweetness and florals through notes including pear blossom, jasmine, and brown sugar. 

By breaking down the process you can ensure that your everlasting fragrance offers the most honest reflection of your soul, and is one that you truly love. 

You can always play with different scents

Yet we should never be constrained to the idea that we need to commit to just one fragrance for the rest of our lives. The stories thrust upon us from yesteryears that profess that ‘true elegance with perfume can only be found with consistently wearing one scent’ clearly don’t know the joy of wearing multiple scents throughout the year, nor the thrill of keeping everyone on their toes and maintaining the ability to grow as a person. 

Personally, the greatest thing about perfume is that you can always play with different scents. My own collection is built up of several Marc Jacobs perfumes including ‘Daisy Love’, ‘Perfect’, and ‘Dot’ – all of which are remarkably different from each other, and thus are required for different situations. ‘Dot’ offers a warm, seductive hug, and is the one for romantic nights out. ‘Daisy Love’ is sweet for a summer’s day, whilst ‘Perfect’ is – well, perfect for empowering you. 

If you too want to flirt with various fragrances, then the best place to start is to sample as much as you can. Try the trends and buy the classics so you can construct a collection that suits every occasion or feeling. Go from wearing Chanel ‘No. 5’ one day to Viktor and Rolf ‘Flowerbomb’ the next. 

Have fun. Experiment. And remember, diamonds may be a girl’s best friend, but perfume is what a lady simply cannot live without.