Image: The Boar

BREAKING: All Student Vote results for Term 1 have been published by Warwick Students’ Union

The results from this Term’s All Student Vote have been revealed by Warwick Students’ Union (Warwick SU). 

7 of the 9 motions for this term have passed, with a turnout of 1953 students, and a total of 15,783 votes.

This turnout is lower than several of the previous All Student Votes. In Term 2 of the previous academic year, 19,050 votes were cast by 2,850 individual voters.

The SU Affiliations 2021 motion passed by 1,246 votes. 294 individual voters cast their vote against this motion, with 285 individual voters abstaining. This motion “asks to ratify the Students’ Unions existing affiliations”, including the National Union of Students (NUS), British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS), AdviceUK, Child Poverty Action Group (CPAG), National Council of Voluntary Organisations (NCVO), and UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).

Students also voted in favour of Warwick SU hosting ‘One Hell of a Party’. During the initial lockdown in 2020, the motion document makes reference to Stuart Croft’s statement to students, where he stated that students and staff at the University of Warwick would have “one hell of a party” following the conclusion of Covid-19 lockdowns.

This motion passed with 1,055 individual voters in favour of Warwick SU hosting the event. 223 voters were against this motion.

1,063 voters were in favour of Warwick SU supporting the provision of in-person teaching and universal lecture capture at the University. 241 individual voters cast their ballot against this motion. This follows protests on campus in favour of in-person tuition by student group Put Warwick Students First (PWSF).

One of the most popular motions to pass was ‘Warwick SU to take action against drink spiking’. The motion called for the SU to offer visibly available drink covers, stopper for bottles, and test strips for prevention and detection for drink spiking. 1,482 individual voters voted in favour of this, with 42 voters casting their ballot against the motion, and 64 voters abstaining.

Other motions that passed include: ‘Warwick SU for a fair democracy’, ‘Make circling great again’, and ‘Bring back “Bus Stop” in Terrace Bar’.

The motions that failed include: ‘Warwick SU for the continuation and praise of the monarchy’, ‘Introduce Milk Mondays’, and ‘Warwick SU against UCU industrial action’.