Image: Wikimedia Commons / Tatiana
Image: Wikimedia Commons / Tatiana

Tokyo 2020: Novak Djokovic defeated in tennis semi-finals

Novak Djokovic will not win the ‘Golden Slam’ after losing to Alexander Zverev in the Olympic tennis semi-finals.

The world number one had hoped to become the first man to win all four Grand Slam titles and an Olympic gold medal in the same year – the feat has only ever been accomplished once, by Steffi Graf in 1988.

However, Germany’s Zverev came from a set down to win 1-6 6-3 6-1.

After the upset, he will meet Karen Khachanov in the final on Sunday, after the Russian beat Spain’s Pablo Carreno Busta 6-3 6-3 earlier in the day. With the win, Zverev is guaranteed at least a silver medal.

The Serbian had blitzed through the tournament, and did not lose a set in his first four sets in Tokyo. After winning the opening set of the semi-final in 37 minutes and going a break up in the second, it looked as if this match would simply be another inevitable step to the final.

But Zverev showed incredible determination to mount a comeback, winning 10 games in a row to win the second set and take a commanding lad in the third. Djokovic looked unable to respond to the German, who was strong on serve throughout, wrapping up with three powerful breaks in the decider.

Djokovic will face Carreno Busta in the bronze medal match on Saturday, where he will hope to win a medal and exceed his previous best – a fourth-place finish to Juan Martin de Potro at London 2012.