Image: Wikimedia Commons / Fernando Frazão/Agência Brasil
Image: Wikimedia Commons / Fernando Frazão/Agência Brasil Adam Peaty

Tokyo 2020: Adam Peaty wins first Tokyo gold for Team GB

Adam Peaty made history on Day Three of the Tokyo 2020 Games, becoming the first British swimmer to retain an Olympic title with a typically dominant display in the final of the men’s 100m breaststroke.

Peaty put Team GB’s first gold medal on the board, storming to the win in a time of 57.37 seconds, the fifth fastest time in the history of the event.

The Netherland’s Arno Kamminga, the only man other than Peaty to ever go under 58 seconds, took the silver medal with a time of 58 seconds exactly. Italy’s Nicolo Martinenghi took the bronze with a time of 58.33 seconds, while Team GB’s James Wilby came fifth.

Peaty was unable to beat his own world record of 56.88 seconds, but that was of little significance now that he has defended his title and claimed a second gold.

After his win, Peaty said: “I haven’t felt this good since 2016. It just means the world to me. I didn’t have the best preparation of my life. But you throw that out the window. That’s really what it takes to be an athlete. It’s not who’s the best all year round, it’s who’s the best on the day.”

The swimmer was seen as one of Team GB’s best medal prospects, especially as no-one has come close to him in recent years, and he has confidently delivered.

Since winning a gold medal in Rio five years ago, Peaty has won the 100m breaststroke at the last three World Championships, has broken the world record five times and is the only man to have ever gone under 57 seconds.

He will look to add to his medal haul when he competes in the men’s 4x100m medley relay and, potentially, the mixed 4x100m medley relay – heats for these events take place later this week.