Image: Wikimedia Commons / Nizam Uddin
Image: Wikimedia Commons / Nizam Uddin

Tokyo 2020: shock defeat for Jade Jones in taekwondo

Day Two of the Olympics began with a huge upset for Team GB after Jade Jones was knocked out of the opening round of the taekwondo.

Jones had been hoping for a third gold medal, having taken the -57kg gold in both London 2012 and Rio 2016, but she was stunned by Kimia Alizadeh of the refugee team.

The two-time champion entered the Games as one of Team GB’s favourites to secure a medal, and she started the fight strongly, using a couple of trademark head kicks to go 6-2 up. However, Jones was unable to sustain her two-point lead after the opening round – Alizadeh used her extra height to score twice to the body and turned the contest in her favour at the end of the second round. Jones drew level in the final round, but a trunk kick from Alizadeh sent her four points clear – when a jury denied Jones’ appeal, her fate was sealed, with Alizadeh eventually taking the win with a score of 16-12.

Jones would have hoped that Alizadeh would then reach the final, giving her a chance to compete in the repechage for the bronze medal. But this was not to be either – Alizadeh lost 10-3 to the ROC’s Tatiana Minina in the semi-final, ending Jones’ hopes and sending her home empty-handed.

The Team GB fighter has already spoken about competing at the 2024 Olympics, and this result will do nothing to dim her impressive track record or presence within the sport.

Jones’ team-mate Bradley Sinden has progressed to the -68kg final, as he bids to win a gold medal and become GB’s first male Olympic taekwondo champion – he is guaranteed at least a silver.