Image: Loic Verstrepen Sande / The Boar

Megan Clarke and Charlotte Lloyd resign as Warwick Sabbatical Officers

Warwick Students’ Union (SU) have announced that Megan Clarke has resigned as Warwick SU Education Officer, and Charlotte Lloyd has resigned as Sports Officer. 

It comes as Megan was offered a position at the National Education Union (NEU), according to a source in Warwick SU.

The statement, published on the SU website, said: “This week we are saying a sad farewell to two members of the Full-time Officer team, who have both accepted permanent job offers away from Warwick.

“Megan Clarke (Education Officer) and Charlotte Lloyd (Sports Officer) have both achieved some great SU wins on behalf of Warwick students.”

The statement reflected on the achievements of the two. It said that Megan secured “more effective training of Campus security and Wellbeing Services to ensure that the support they give is culturally competent” and that she worked closely with Warwick Rent Strike, amongst other things.

It said that Charlotte worked to create a Club Hardship Fund, as well as creating the Sports Officer fund for widening participation students and ensuring “plastic-free sustainable packaging for all sports club kit”.

It has been a pleasure to work with every student that I’ve met this year and fight for the support we needed throughout the Covid-19 pandemic

– Megan Clarke

Megan said: “After four years at Warwick and a busy year at Warwick SU, I am saying goodbye to the role of Education Officer earlier than planned after receiving an exciting job opportunity in an organisation that I am passionate about.

“It has been a pleasure to work with every student that I’ve met this year and fight for the support we needed throughout the Covid-19 pandemic.”

Charlotte said: “It’s been an absolute honour to represent Team Warwick as your Sports Officer for the past two years – from the highs of winning the 30th annual Varsity to the lows of navigating sport in a covid-world, it’s been challenging at times, but I wouldn’t have replaced the experience for anything.

“I think everyone involved in sport at university can agree it defines your university experience, and I’m very thankful that I got to continue that involvement beyond 3 years of playing, and have had the opportunity to work alongside some amazing staff and students who are all so passionate about making university sport a better place to be.”

The two are not the first to step down in their role as full-time SU officers. Olly Barron, previous Societies Officer, stepped down in March. He also resigned from the role after receiving a permanent job offer.

In a conversation with The Boar, one individual who works for the SU but wishes to remain anonymous commented: “This news is very disappointing, though hardly surprising.

“Megan opposed in-person teaching when it mattered most and now, at this critical time, is more interested in advancing a career in the unions than defending students’ interests.”