UK-Singapore alliance
Image: Wikimedia Commons / Smuconlaw

16 UK and Singaporean universities join alliance for tech knowledge transfer

16 universities across the UK, in partnership with Singaporean universities, have formed the first joint alliance for entrepreneurship and innovation.

The UK-Singapore Universities Alliance for Entrepreneurship and Innovation (UKSAEI) was launched at a virtual event on 8 April.

The alliance is intended to strengthen the cooperation between the UK and Singapore in innovation ecosystems, facilitate knowledge exchange and global licensing of technologies, and train the upcoming generation of entrepreneurs.

The UK members of UKSAEI are Bath, Coventry, Cranfield, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, King’s College London, Newcastle, Nottingham, Manchester, and Strathclyde. In Singapore, the members are the Nanyang Technological University Singapore (NTU), National University of Singapore, Singapore Institute of Technology, Singapore Management University, and Singapore University of Technology and Design.

At the launch, H. E. Kara Owen, the British High Commissioner to Singapore, said: “Both the UK and Singapore are strongly committed to investing in R&D, innovation and enterprise, and recognise the importance of collaborating internationally in these areas to support economic growth. Collaboration in knowledge and education is a top priority for the SG-UK Partnership for the Future, with science and innovation at its heart.

I welcome this ground-up initiative and the aim of the Alliance to facilitate commercialisation and innovation among our IHLs. I wish them every success. Congratulations to all involved on the launch of the Alliance.

– Lim Thuan Kuan

“The Alliance builds on the extensive links between UK and Singapore universities to make a practical contribution to the role innovation and enterprise development will play in post-Covid-19 recovery. Congratulations to everyone on the launch of this Alliance.”

E. Lim Thuan Kuan, the Singapore High Commissioner to the UK, said: “I am honoured to be able to witness the launch of the UK-Singapore Universities Alliance for Entrepreneurship and Innovation. Since the signing of the Singapore-UK Innovation & Research Partnership Agreement in 2014, Singapore’s collaboration on research, innovation and enterprise with the UK has been growing from strength to strength.

“I welcome this ground-up initiative and the aim of the Alliance to facilitate commercialisation and innovation among our IHLs. I wish them every success. Congratulations to all involved on the launch of the Alliance.”

The commissioner noted that collaboration between the two countries has strengthened since the 2014 Singapore-UK Innovation and Research Partnership Agreement, successes of which include a partnership between the NTU and the University of Bristol to develop technologies for healthy aging.

As of 2019, Singapore was ranked first in the World Economic Forum’s Global Competitiveness Index and is seriously investing in research, innovation, and international development.