Image: Luke Jones / Flickr

University students should be given financial compensation for the disruption to their studies, says Sir Anthony Seldon

University students in England should be given financial compensation for the disruption to their studies over the last year, says Sir Anthony Seldon.

Sir Anthony Seldon, the former vice-chancellor of the University of Buckingham, former Master of Wellington College, and political biographer, said that “students deserve something” including “financial recompense”.

He said that this would recognise how much education students have missed during the pandemic, acknowledging that it had been a “restricted” experience for many students despite, he said, the best efforts of universities.

The Department for Education (DfE) said that refunds were a matter for universities. Sir Anthony said that refunds should come from the government as many universities “cannot afford to pay”.

This comes as the Office of the Independent Adjudicator, the university complaints watchdog, revealed that an undisclosed university had been instructed to pay an international medical student £5,000 in compensation for the lost teaching time during England’s first lockdown.

We have been clear that universities should maintain the quality and quantity of tuition, and ensure it is accessible to all students, regardless of their background, and the Office for Students is monitoring online teaching to ensure this is the case

– Department for Education

Sir Anthony wrote in The Times that universities should be more assertive in “challenging the government to come up with money to compensate students”.

He said: “Rather than being feted…they are often placed on the naughty step, guilty of one misdemeanour after another, and micromanaged to the nth degree.”

Universities are becoming “policy-takers” rather than “policy-makers”, Sir Anthony added. He argued further for universities to assert themselves collectively and be “massively conscious of their power, stature and authority”.

Universities UK said: “The government is clear that there should not be blanket tuition refunds.”

A spokesperson added that universities were “actively working with government and looking at ways to ensure a fair deal for students” regarding empty rooms that many students are still paying for. 

A DfE spokeswoman said: “We have been clear that universities should maintain the quality and quantity of tuition, and ensure it is accessible to all students, regardless of their background, and the Office for Students is monitoring online teaching to ensure this is the case.”