Image: Wikimedia Commons / Cushdy
Image: Wikimedia Commons / Cushdy

Coronavirus: FA Cup final could feature up to 20,000 spectators

The final of the FA Cup and the World Snooker Championship are among a number of proposed pilot events to trial the full return of spectators at sporting events, theatres and music concerts.

The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) says it will stage “around a dozen” sporting and cultural events this spring. The final will take place at Wembley on 15 May, and it is understood that the government is considering allowing up to 20,000 fans to attend, considerably more than the 10,000 limit for larger outdoor seated venues that will come into force from 17 May.

FA chief executive Mark Bullingham said last week that he was “desperate” to welcome fans back to Wembley for the final to prove that “football can be run safely”.

The World Snooker Championship at the Crucible in Sheffield will run from 17 April to 3 May, and will be used to trial a theatre setting.
World Snooker Tour chairman Barry Hearn said: “We are thrilled to once again be selected as a crucial participant in the UK government’s progress towards leading us out of the coronavirus pandemic and back on the road to normal life.”

It is yet another challenge for us, but so far over the past year we have risen to every challenge and met it successfully

– Barry Hearn

“This research programme will provide evidence required to show that people can get back to doing some of the leisure activities they love, such as visiting theatres, indoor concerts, and sporting events. It is yet another challenge for us, but so far over the past year we have risen to every challenge and met it successfully. We have proved again and again that we can stage events where the safety of the players, officials, and fans is paramount.”

These events will be held as part of the Events Research Programme (ERP), which will inform the government’s decisions on the progression of the roadmap out of lockdown. This will begin no earlier than 21 June, when the government hopes to lift all legal limits on social contact.

The trials are set to take place under strict medical supervision, according to government guidelines, and will test a number of “non-pharmaceutical interventions” in order to lower transmission risks, including adjusting the layout of venues, the use of face coverings, and adapted ventilation. They will also simulate different live environments, not only indoors and outdoors but seated and standing, and involving different forms of audience participation.

People taking part in the events will be expected to record a negative Covid test result before the event and will be tested again afterwards to check for the possibility of transmission. They will also be expected to adhere to a code of conduct while inside the venue. Capacity numbers are set to be agreed with event organisers and local authorities in the coming weeks.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said: “These test events will be crucial in finding ways to get fans and audiences back in safely without social distancing.

“We will be guided by the science and medical experts, but will work flat out to make that happen. We want to get the people back to enjoying what they love and ensure some of our most important growth industries get back on their feet. These are important steps towards the safe and special summer we all crave and that I’m fully focused on delivering.”

Despite a number of racecourses offering to collaborate with the programme and accommodate fans as part of the study, horse racing has not been incorporated into the pilot. Cricket chiefs has also expressed unhappiness at being overlooked, meaning England’s Test series against New Zealand will likely take place in front of small crowds of around 7,500 and 6,000 at Lord’s and Edgbaston respectively.