Making Valentine’s Day special during lockdown

Whether you love or loathe it, Valentine’s Day comes around every year. To some, it is a special day to spend with their loved one but to others, it can be one of the most dreaded days of the year. This year, Valentine’s Day will be unlike one we have ever seen before. A lot of people are currently under lockdown without their significant other or friends, but does this mean you should cancel celebrations all together? Absolutely not.

I think a key thing to remember is that this is just a day. Sure, it has been massively commercialised over recent years, but not seeing your significant other on this one occasion will not be the end of the world. It is extremely tough on us all to be in lockdown, especially when you may be separated from ones you love, but it is important to remember that this will not last forever.

You may miss out on your usual Valentine’s Day date night, or whatever you usually do, but this doesn’t mean that you love your partner or friends any less. There will be ample time to celebrate and go out for dates when this is all over, so try to keep hold of that thought through these tough times. If you do want to celebrate in a pandemic safe way though, then do read ahead for a few tips.

Buying from a small business will usually make your gift much more thoughtful

Valentine’s Day is often associated with gifts and flowers. This tradition does not need to end in lockdown if this is something you would like to do. There are hundreds of online flower shops and although they are usually pricier than supermarket flowers, they can really make someone’s day. If you would like to buy a gift, I think this is the perfect opportunity to check out small businesses online.

Most sellers are more than happy to include a gift message meaning you can send a gift directly to your loved one. Etsy has lots of handmade and sentimental pieces you may be interested in. Buying from a small business will usually make your gift much more thoughtful as you will be avoiding the generic supermarket gifts that everyone gets. Needless to say, you will also help by supporting the maker directly in these troubling times.

If you are on a budget, or just have more time on your hands, why not try to make your own gift. You just need a little creativity but that’s what Google and Pinterest are for. Some ideas I have seen include making your own card, a scrapbook of memories or baking some sweet treats.

You could make a quiz about your shared memories

So gifts and flowers aside, you may be wondering how to actually celebrate. We are very fortunate to be in the twenty-first century and have things such as Zoom to help with this. If you are away from your significant other or friends, celebrating on Zoom or an equivalent app may be your best option. Keep reading for some great ideas of the best things to do on a virtual Valentine’s Day date.

Whether you want to cook something nice for yourself or order a takeaway, having a meal together (even if it is online) is a nice way of spending some quality time with someone. Another choice that works well either online or in-person is a movie night. This can be done through the likes of Netflix Party or in any other way.

You could organise a quiz. Although you are probably sick of quizzes by now, there are ways you can make it more fun. If you want to celebrate with your partner, you could make a quiz about your shared memories and maybe even include some Mr and Mrs questions.

We are living in very strange times so don’t feel pressured to have an amazing Valentine’s Day

Another great idea might also be a cocktail night. A lot of us miss going out for a few cocktails so why not make some yourself? You may need a few bits of equipment to get going but it is bound to make for a fun evening. This should work quite well over zoom as you can share your recipes and how nice (or awful) your drink tastes.

Of course, you can also have a combination of these ideas all in one evening. How you choose to celebrate, or not celebrate, is ultimately up to you. These were just a few ideas, but you can really be as creative as you like. It is important to remember that we are living in very strange times, so don’t feel pressured to have an amazing Valentine’s Day;  just do what you can given the circumstances. Hopefully, this is the only ever Valentine’s Day we will be in lockdown, so you have all the future ones to look forward to.