University of Exeter
Image: University of Exeter / Wikimedia Commons

Exeter University accused of no-platforming

The Students Union at the University of Exeter have been accused of no-platforming after asking Exeter societies to uninvite all external speakers until further notice.

The Guild of Students postponed all events until further notice, and said that events will only resume after the university’s digital events protocols and external speaker policy had been reviewed.

Exeter students have been told that “existing digital events protocols are inadequate and expose our student leaders to significant risk”.

Toby Young, the General Secretary of the Free Speech Union, wrote to the vice-chancellor of the university. He argued that the Guild “has effectively no-platformed the debating societies entire term card for reasons which are, frankly, incomprehensible”.

“This shows why the Government is right to try and reign in student unions. They should not have a right of veto over which speakers are invited to university debates.”

However, a spokesperson from the university has said: “We agree with the Students’ Guild that they needed to review their process for online events and it does not change our approach.”

The pause will be brief and is not driven by any desire to cancel speakers or suppress freedom of expression, but rather to ensure that events with external speakers are able to go ahead in a legal and safe manner

– University of Exeter

“The pause will be brief and is not driven by any desire to cancel speakers or suppress freedom of expression, but rather to ensure that events with external speakers are able to go ahead in a legal and safe manner.”

This follows new commitments which have been announced this week by the Education Minister, Gavin Williamson, promoting free speech in universities for students and academics.

Among the measures introduced is the appointment of a “free speech champion”, who would fight “unacceptable silencing and censoring” at universities, investigating potential infringements such as no-platforming speakers or dismissal of academics.

Visiting speakers, academics, and students would have the grounds to sue for compensation if they felt their right to free speech had been impeded.

The Office for Students (OfS) would be permitted to fine institutions who are not seen to follow these rules. The Government are also considering the change of putting university Student Unions under the control of the OfS.

Williamson said: “Free speech underpins our democratic society and our universities have a long and proud history of being places where students and academics can express themselves freely, challenge views and cultivate an open mind.”