Image: Wikimedia Commons / Eustace Bagge

F1: George Russell to race for Mercedes at Sakhir Grand Prix

F1 world champion Lewis Hamilton will miss this weekend’s Sakhir Grand Prix in Bahrain after testing positive for Covid-19.

He will be replaced by Williams driver George Russell. Williams reserve Jack Aitken will make his F1 debut as he fills in for Russell.

Hamilton’s participation in the final race of the season, at Abu Dhabi, remains contingent on returning a negative test late into his 10-day isolation period. He will need to return a negative test before flying to Abu Dhabi, and again when he lands.

Mercedes said that the seven-time world champion had shown mild Covid symptoms on Monday and returned a positive result from a mandatory test. Hamilton had been informed that a “contact prior to his arrival in Bahrain” had contracted Covid-19. He had been tested three times last week, prior to the Bahrain GP, and each test returned a negative result.

These are worrying times for everyone and we need to make sure we are looking after ourselves and each other

– Lewis Hamilton

On social media, Hamilton said: “Hi guys, I’m devastated that I won’t be racing this weekend. Since we started the season in June, my team and I have been taking all the precautions we possibly can and following the regulations everywhere we’ve been in order to stay safe.

“Unfortunately, even though I returned three negative results this past week I woke up yesterday morning with mild symptoms and requested another test which came back positive. I’ve immediately gone into self-isolation for 10 days.

“I’m gutted not to be able to race this weekend but my priority is to follow the protocols and advice to protect others. I’m really lucky that I feel OK with only mild symptoms and will do my best to stay fit and healthy.

“Please look after yourselves out there, you can never be too careful. These are worrying times for everyone and we need to make sure we are looking after ourselves and each other. Stay positive.”

Speaking about his temporary move, Russell said: “I might be wearing a different race suit this weekend, but I’m a Williams driver and I’ll be cheering my team on every step of the way.

“I see this as a great chance to learn from the best outfit on the grid right now and to come back as an improved driver, with even more energy and experience to help push Williams further up the grid. A big thank you also to Mercedes for putting their faith in me.

“Obviously, nobody can replace Lewis, but I’ll give my all for the team in his absence from the moment I step in the car. Most importantly, I wish him a speedy recovery. I’m really looking forward to the opportunity and can’t wait to get out on track this week.”

F1’s record on Covid-19 has been really impressive – it has conducted approximately 70,000 tests with only 82 positive results. And yet, we knew that cases were always possible. Both the Racing Point drivers contracted the virus earlier in the season, and now Lewis Hamilton will be forced to sit a race out for the first time in his career.

In a sense, it’s fortunate for Hamilton that this news has come after he secured the world championship. A few weeks ago, it would have been particularly devastating – it would have raised questions about whether his run to the title was as inevitable as first thought. But, as we stand, both titles are wrapped up, and it gives Mercedes an interesting opportunity to shake things up.

With no Hamilton, who is always the favourite for victory, what does this mean for the Sakhir GP? Hamilton’s major contender for the victory last week was Max Verstappen, the only other driver on the circuit who even comes close in terms of pace. Without his rival in the field, the smart money is on the Red Bull as the favourite.

The big story of this race will not be about who wins

An outside pick could be Valtteri Bottas, who certainly has the pace (he’s won two races this season and made the podium on eight more), but a run of bad form may prove discouraging.

Could George Russell win? He is yet to score any points this season, through a combination of his car lacking the pace of some of his rivals, and due to a number of unforced driver errors – his safety car crash during the Emilia-Romagna GP is the most obvious example here. Russell is a promising F1 driver, an active racer with a solid experience base, and taking a seat in what is clearly the best car on track is the perfect opportunity for him to prove his skills.

He’s earned a shot, and a strong showing here (especially if he beats Valtteri Bottas) would be a very good omen for his future past the 2021 season. The big story of this race will not be who wins, but rather who places better out of Bottas and Russell. Russell has long been talked about as one of F1’s future stars – doing well this weekend will ensure his star keeps rising, and it may severely darken Bottas’ future at Mercedes.