Image by Mediamodifier from Pixabay

New iPhone 12 release: a review

Even though the launch was delayed, like everything else this year, the wait is finally over. The new iPhone 12 series is out. There are four versions: iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Max and iPhone 12 Pro Max. If you’re anything like me (i.e. not a tech nerd whatsoever), you are probably thinking that the main difference between these phones is the screen size. While this is true, there are also many other features worth considering when looking into getting a new phone.

The screens all feature a “Super Retina XDR display” which means that they use OLED technologies to make the viewing process as pleasant as possible. The screen size varies from 5.4” for the Mini to 6.7” for the Pro Max. A new addition to this series is 5G compatibility – this is the case for most recent smartphones released and therefore not unique to the iPhone.

Screen size varies from 5.4” for the Mini to 6.7” for the Pro Max

Camera quality is something that is important to many of us. There is quite a big difference between the 12 vs the 12 Pro. For starters, the Pro has three cameras rather than just two. The cameras are: wide, ultrawide and telephoto, with telephoto being the additional one on the Pro. The telephoto lens helps to take high quality images of objects far away, without the need for digital zooming. Think of it as a zoomed in camera. So, whether you think this is essential or not is all up to you.

Speaking of optimal zoom, this also ranges, from 2x in the Mini to 5x in the Pro Max. The cameras on the Pro versions also have additional features like a LiDAR scanner for night mode portraits, faster autofocus in low light and next-level AR experiences. So, upon reviewing the specs, it does seem worth paying a little bit extra for better cameras if photography is something you are into.

It does seem worth paying a little bit extra for  better cameras if photography is something you are into

All the phones in the iPhone 12 series feature a new type of chip. This is the A14 Bionic chip, which is the first commercial 5nm chip. There are plenty of technical details online about why this is revolutionary, but to summarise, it will make the phones smarter. It will allow users to do intensive tasks such as edit 4K video more smoothly, all while using less battery power.

So, whether you wish to buy one of the new iPhones is all down to personal preference. But if you do, there are quite a few options. The Mini starts from £699 and the Pro Max can go all the way up to £1,399. If you are keen on having the latest tech and the best camera quality for a phone, I definitely think this is a good option to look into.