Student Survey
Image Credits: Pixabay

A recent survey suggests that more than 85 percent of university students want a full or partial tuition fee refund

A recent survey conducted by Quizlet found that more than 85% of university students felt they should receive either a full or a partial refund for tuition fees this academic year. 

The digital learning platform polled more than 1,000 students, the majority of whom labelled blended learning “ineffective” or very “ineffective”. Additionally, over 90% reported facing difficulties making friends on their course this year.

In an interview with The Independent, university students said they felt that online learning was not the same as face-to-face teaching, while campus facilities and resources were more difficult to access.

“Most people are paying all this money, being miserable and sat staring at a computer screen all day,” said one student at the University of Cambridge, who asked to remain anonymous.

Similarly, Anvee Bhutani, an Oxford University student, said; “I think if there isn’t at least a partial refund, that isn’t fair on students.”

The results come after months of campaigns and petitions from students seeking reimbursement. One online parliament petition, which called for the government to require UK universities to partially refund tuition fees while online teaching is implemented received more than 222,000 signatures.

After a parliamentary debate on the petition, the government defended the combination of online and in-person tuition.

Most people are paying all this money, being miserable and sat staring at a computer screen all day

– Anonymous Cambridge University Student

The response outlined that “the Government’s expectation is that quality and academic standards must be maintained, and the OFS has made it clear that all HE providers must continue to comply with registration conditions relating to quality and standards, which set out requirements to ensure that courses are high quality, students are supported and achieve good outcomes, and standards are protected”.

It put the onus on students to raise complaints with their university and was clear that the government was not considering any write-off of tuition fee loans.

In response to the government ruling out offering tuition fee refunds, many students have sought legal advice on their options. HCB Solicitors reported being “inundated […] with calls from students requesting a refund or reduction of their university fees”.

Universities UK, which represents 140 universities, said: “If students have a complaint, they should speak to their universities in the first instance.

“We understand this may not be the university experience which would be delivered in a normal year, but this is not a normal year and universities are investing heavily in Covid-19 safety measures, enhanced digital learning platforms, and additional learning and wellbeing support.”