Image: Wikimedia Commons / kris krüg
Image: Wikimedia Commons / kris krüg

NBA Finals: LeBron James’ Lakers seek to build lead in Game 2

Prior to Game 1 of the NBA Finals between the Miami Heat and the Los Angeles Lakers, the series was billed as one which would either accentuate Lebron James’ claim to basketball supremacy in the GOAT discussion, or mark the inception of a new championship-calibre team in Miami.

The Western Conference champions were heavy favoured to emerge victorious in the series, largely as a result of the ruthless dominance that LeBron James and Anthony Davis have demonstrated throughout these Playoffs, and most believed that for all the versatility and dynamism the Heat could offer on both sides of the floor, their inexperience at this level would prove costly.

Upon the commencement of Game 1, the Heat surged to a 23-10 lead in the first quarter as they forced the Lakers into early turnovers through their swarming defence which sparked easy transition points. As the Lakers tightened up their play on both sides of the floor, they began to dictate the pace of the game and ended the quarter on a 21-5 run to lead by 3 points going into the second quarter.

From then on, the Lakers dominated and stretched their lead to as many as 32 points in the third quarter, spearheaded by Anthony Davis with a game-high 34 points, alongside the ever-reliable near triple double of LeBron James with 25 points, 13 rebounds, and 9 assists.

Adebayo checked out of the game after a collision with Dwight Howard when going up for a rebound

Of major concern to the Heat would be the injuries to leaders Bam Adebayo (left shoulder strain), Goran Dragic (left foot), and to a lesser extent Jimmy Butler (turned ankle). Adebayo was repeatedly banged up as he tussled throughout the game against the Lakers big men, and in the third quarter he checked out of the game after a collision with Dwight Howard when going up for a rebound.

Dragic’s injury was much more innocuous, as it was unclear as to how and when he sustained his injury which forced him to sit out the second half of the game, whilst Butler turned his ankle late in the second quarter and hobbled for the remainder of the fixture. The former 2 have been named doubtful for Game 2, and if either of them is unable to play that would significantly diminish Miami’s hopes of winning the series.

Dragic led the team in points in their first round series against Indiana, and his consistent playmaking ability and veteran experience would be sorely missed. Adebayo on the other hand took over the Celtics series win, and his all-round play on offence and defence makes him the centrepiece of this team. If he were to miss any play the whole structure of the team would have to change.

Jimmy Butler vowed to be “ready to go again” for Game 2, and as the star player of this team, his presence on the floor in whatever capacity is the key to the Heat having any chance of beating the Lakers.

In light of Game 1, I will suggest three things each team must do to win the series. For the Lakers, they must:

1. Keep Anthony Davis aggressive and utilise the mismatches he has in size and speed against the Heat forwards.
  2. Continue to hit 3 pointers to neutralise the effectiveness of Miami’s zone defence.
  3. Minimise points in the paint and limit the free throw attempts taken by the Heat.

Conversely, Miami must:

1. Significantly reduce the rebound disparity as they were outrebounded 54-36.
  2. Defend the three much better as they were outshot in that department- failure to do so will lead to a very short series.
  3. Reduce the efficiency of Anthony Davis.

Overall, this series will be a lopsided victory for the Lakers if Miami are unable to suit up with Dragic and Adebayo or they are significantly diminished in productivity. The matchup requires the multifaceted Heat to counteract the dominance of LeBron James and Anthony Davis, thus any notable injuries on their side will significantly alter the balance of play.

Aside from this I predict the Lakers to win the series in 6, with LeBron receiving his fourth title and NBA Finals MVP against his former team.