Durham University’s biggest donor cuts ties over Covid restrictions
Image: Wikimedia Commons/ Brian Perry

Durham University accused of having a ‘toxic attitude’ towards students from Northern England

Durham students from Northern England report being frequently mocked for their accents and backgrounds, according to a report compiled by a student.

Lauren Whites’ report detailed the ‘toxic attitude’ of fellow students and staff at the Russell Group university as she demands action be taken. 

Ms White, 20, who grew up 15 miles from Durham, has experienced constant bullying throughout university due to her Northern roots. 

Speaking to  The Guardian, Ms White said: “at first when they mocked and mimicked my accent, I sort of went along with it, even laughed.” 

When the ridicules became persistent and malicious, she decided to move back home to Gateshead: “I felt like I was forced out because it was constant.”

Other Durham students have reported similar experiences of feeling targeted due to their minority background. 

“I’m from a working-class background. I was reminded of this every single day.”

– A student from Liverpool

One student from Liverpool, who graduated in 2017, claimed the bullying was so bad that she had to seek counselling. She commented: “I had the most horrendous time there [at Durham]. I’m from a working-class background. I was reminded of this every single day.” 

Other students claimed to have had identical experiences of this belittlement from elitist peers and some went so far as to say they were too scared to speak out in seminars for ‘fear of being ridiculed.’ 

7.8% of Durham students are from the North East, and one student from the North East noted: “it’s so strange being so close to home but yet when you’re in Durham there’s times that you feel like you’re in a completely different place.” 

Common overheard conversations among Southern students include statements such as  “I hate all northerners” and referring to sleeping with people from the North as “rolling in muck”.

Student Jack Lines has worked as a student ambassador at the university for two years and has frequently been made fun of for having to work to support himself financially during his studies. 

Mr Lines reports having previously been refused entry to university bars by staff who didn’t believe he studied at Durham. “In the college dining hall I have been called a ‘dirty northerner’, and a ‘chav’… a fellow student asked me: ‘are you going to take the spare food home to feed your family?’” 

In September, Durham University launched an inquiry into a group of wealthy prospective freshers, who had reportedly planned to compete to have sex with the poorest student they could find. The students in question had their places at the University revoked.

Durham’s vice-chancellor, Prof Stuart Corbridge, said in a statement: “in the short time since receiving the report, Lauren and I have agreed both that her report will be considered by [our] respect commission oversight group and that we will meet shortly to discuss her findings further.”