Covid-19 regulations have been broken in Coventry and Leamington

Footage shared on social media showed large groups of people in student accommodation at Coventry University on Tuesday 29 September.

The footage displayed a large celebration which subsequently led to two students being fined £200 each.

In conjunction with the university, the West Midlands Police issued the fines following an investigation that concluded that the students were not adhering to the social distancing regulations at the privately-run Arundel house in Coventry.

The 200 students who attended the party are now being monitored for signs of Covid-19, and testing is being offered to students who display symptoms.

Coventry City Council leader George Duggins has urged students to follow the gathering restrictions and he has reassured the public that the incident was “being taken seriously”.

Widespread condemnation followed after footage of the party was posted on Twitter showing Covid-19 regulations being broken.

The private accommodation has agreed to close some communal areas and a Safer Students stall has been arranged between the police and the accommodation provider, Nido, as a reminder of Covid-19 regulations.

A joint statement from the police and Nido said: “We understand and share the deep concern this has caused but it is our belief that the overwhelming majority of students are following the guidelines and doing everything they can to play their part in protecting our communities.

We do know that some of the individuals involved in the party were students of the university, we know that many of them were also not students of the university

– Prof John Latham

“There have been very few incidents of large scale Covid-19 breaches in Coventry to date; people have generally recognised the importance of the restrictions and behaved responsibly.

“Officers from West Midlands Police will be out on the streets reminding everyone of their duty to help slow the spread of the virus and not to congregate in large numbers. If they have to, officers will move people on and fines will be issued where appropriate.”

A joint statement issued by Professor John Latham, the university’s vice-chancellor, and Chief Superintendent Mike O’Hara of West Midlands Police, said fines of up to £10,000 can be issued to organisers of illegal raves.

Prof John Latham said many students were “not very happy with their peers”.

“We do know that some of the individuals involved in the party were students of the university, we know that many of them were also not students of the university,” he added.

The West Midlands Police said: “Officers will be out on streets reminding everyone of their duty to help slow the spread of the virus and not to congregate in large numbers.”

Similarly, Covid-19 regulations in Leamington Spa have been broken in recent days, with fines issued to those who attended parties in Russell Terrace and Bedford Street on Friday 2 October.

Inspector Dave Valente of the West Midlands Police said that “people attending the parties last night showed a complete disregard for the law and the safety of others”, adding that “the ‘rule of six’ is in place to help stop the spread of coronavirus”.