House parties

Universities are banning house parties and overnight stays as part of social distancing rules

Universities are set to limit social contact by banning house parties and overnight stays.

These are some of the rules that may be used at universities nationwide while social distancing regulations remain in place. 

It is expected that halls of residence will not allow any visitors or social gatherings. 

Warwick Accommodation has said: “Guests won’t be permitted to join you in your residences but there will be many spaces and places open on campus for you to meet up with friends and this guidance will be regularly reviewed.”

While this is a crucial step in order to stop the spread of COVID-19, many fear it will massively take away from the “uni experience”. 

Another proposal that was set out by Universities UK (UUK) is to have “bubbles”, where students who are on the same degree would be housed together to limit their number of contacts. 

This is all in addition to increased levels of sanitisation around halls of residence and other parts of campus. 

Guests won’t be permitted to join you in your residences but there will be many spaces and places open on campus for you to meet up with friends

– Warwick Accommodation

Warwick Accommodation have installed hand sanitiser stations as well as increased the frequency of cleaning in halls of residence. 

The proposals set out by UUK are not strict rules and hence can be adapted by individual universities as they see fit. Cambridge University has announced that visitors may be allowed but this must be requested in advance and social distancing must be maintained at all times. 

Sheffield University will require all students to wear a face covering in all communal areas of campus. 

Warwick University has set up a 24-hour COVID helpline. The hotline will provide clarification for students and advice on latest guidance, which is expected to change.

While the new rules mean that there will not be a return to “normal” in September, it is hoped they will allow for all students to return to campus while staying safe.