Image: Warwick Media Library

University of Warwick issues Covid-19 code of conduct for students living off campus

The University of Warwick has issued guidance to keep students and local communities safe while living off campus. 

The new guidance has been issued, along with three community responsibilities that the University asks everyone “to commit to”. 

The three responsibilities are behaving in a Covid-19 secure manner, acting swiftly on Covid-19 symptoms and actively supporting one another. 

The University warned: “Wilfully and repeatedly breaching University guidance is an act of misconduct that could lead to disciplinary processes.”

In the community responsibilities, the University asks students and staff to stay informed on UK government guidance and University policies. 

The University is advising the community to use the Test and Trace system for those who have symptoms of Covid-19, which will be introduced on 9 September. 

The third responsibility states: “Recognise and respect that some individuals may be exempt from our expected behaviours – such as face coverings – for reasons that are not always visible.

We strongly recommend you do not invite people from another household into your home or garden for your own safety and for the safety of the wider community

– University of Warwick

“If you see anyone behaving contrary to guidance, you can raise your concerns with them in a constructive and sensitive manner. Alternatively raise your concerns with a member of staff, line manager or HR.” 

As for staying safe while living off campus, the University reiterated government guidelines on visitors and social distancing. 

The webpage states: “We strongly recommend you do not invite people from another household into your home or garden for your own safety and for the safety of the wider community. 

“You may not have symptoms but still be infected with Covid-19. This means you could infect others without knowing.” 

The guidance continued: “Please keep in mind that drinking responsibly is important to ensure you and those around you can remain socially distanced.

“In recent months, West Midlands Police and Warwickshire Police have had to attend gatherings at private properties that have not complied with social distancing laws. Please do not risk an encounter with the police because you are not keeping people safe.”

Addressing house parties and gatherings, the guidance states: “You can not host gatherings or parties inside your home with anyone from more than one other household; host gatherings or parties outdoors with more than 6 people from different households; stop social distancing when coming into contact with someone from another household.” 

Wilfully and repeatedly breaching University guidance is an act of misconduct that could lead to disciplinary processes

– University of Warwick

The University added that further guidance on sharing a property will be made available but students are advised “not to move backwards and forwards frequently between two different homes”. 

The guidance goes on to state that if someone in a shared house is displaying coronavirus symptoms or has tested positive, “all other residents of the home must also stay at home and not leave the house for 14 days”. 

The webpage continued: “If you do have to self-isolate, you should try to minimise your interactions with other members of your household.

“You might consider setting up a rota for using the kitchen and bathroom throughout the day so you can limit time together in communal spaces.” 

The new guidance also addresses travelling to campus: “Before you travel, think carefully about the times, routes and ways of getting here so we all have more space. 

“Avoiding peak times helps keep the transport network running and allows people who need to make essential journeys to travel. If possible, please try to walk or cycle to campus.”

The community responsibilities can be found here and full guidance on staying safe off campus can be found here.