Image: Unsplash / Alex Motoc

Keep bars and cafes open to stop coronavirus spreading, says higher education expert

Bars and cafes on university campuses should remain open to prevent university students from spreading the coronavirus into the wider area, according to a higher education expert. 

Nick Hillman, who directs the Higher Education Policy Institute think tank, also argues that university students should condemn their peers who are breaking the lockdown rules and behaving in an irresponsible manner.

Around one million students are expected to commence university in the forthcoming weeks, which has led to many concerns that the number of daily coronavirus cases could increase.

St Andrews University has already had an outbreak of the pandemic because of an illegal party during freshers’ week.

Mr Hillman stated keeping university amenities open could be most effective for containing the coronavirus.

He told the i newspaper: “I know some students are vulnerable and I know some staff are elderly but in general it’s probably better if young people are going to go out, that they’re together on a university campus rather than popping home every night to elderly parents or vulnerable members of their family.”

The health and wellbeing of staff, students and local communities is the first priority for universities

– Universities UK spokesperson

Mr Hillman also argued that “I worry a few idiots will ruin it for everybody, and it’s really important that doesn’t happen”.

His main arguments were that students would use the places of leisure and hospitality in the host community if universities closed their amenities.

The director also argued that students would regulate one another’s behaviour to reduce the spread of cases and assist one another.

Alongside St Andrews University, a number of students are self-isolating at Manchester Metropolitan University due to large numbers of parties.

Eleven universities have reported confirmed coronavirus cases to the University and College Union, which represents staff and is monitoring cases.

A spokeswoman for Universities UK said: “The health and wellbeing of staff, students and local communities is the first priority for universities. The sector has been working hard to put in place multiple safety and health measures at universities – on campus and at provided accommodation – so they can provide as much in-person teaching, support and social activities as possible in a safe and engaging way.”