Image: Flickr/ Margaret Darms

Emergency services tackle fire on Swansea University campus

Emergency services have tackled a huge fire at Swansea University’s Bay Campus.

The fire, which broke out on the evening of Wednesday 12 August, was contained in the engineering department and extinguished that night.

There were no reports of anyone inside the building, and no injuries have been reported.

It is not yet known what caused the blaze. Swansea University chiefs and fire investigators are currently examining the wreckage to establish the cause and assess the long-term impact of fire and water damage.

Site security manager Julian James said that a member of his team had seen smoke coming from the building at 18:08, and fire crews were there within six minutes.

As the fire continued, thick black smoke was visible across the city.

In a tweet at 18:44, Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service (MAWWFRS) wrote: “We are currently in attendance at an incident in Fabian Way, Swansea. Please avoid the area at this time.”

MAWWFRS sent five appliances to the scene, as well as a water bowser and aerial appliance.

The fire was contained within a three-storey building, with the first floor, second floor and roof alight. No persons were reported inside the building

– MAWWFRS spokesperson

A spokesman for MAWWFRS said: “On Wednesday, August 12, [we] attended a building fire on Swansea University Campus, Fabian Way.

“Joint Fire Control received the first call at 18:08. Fire appliances from Morriston, Swansea Central, Swansea West, Port Talbot, Gorseinon and a water bowser from Tumble were deployed to the incident.

“The fire was contained within a three-storey building, with the first floor, second floor and roof alight. No persons were reported inside the building.

“Firefighters used four breathing apparatus, an aerial appliance and thermal imaging cameras to extinguish the fire. Positive pressure ventilation fans were also used for ventilation.

“Crews remained at the scene overnight to monitor the incident, and an investigation into the cause of the fire commenced this morning.”

The Bay Campus opened in 2015 and cost £450 million to build. It is home to the university’s engineering and management departments, as well as computer facilities for maths and computer science students. There is also accommodation for approximately 5,000 students and 1,000 staff.

Swansea Council leader Rob Stewart said he was “relieved” that the fire had been brought under control, and added: “My thoughts are with everyone at Swansea University.”