Judd Trump criticises Anthony Hamilton for “selfish” World Championship withdrawal

Judd Trump has criticised Anthony Hamilton for his decision to withdraw from the Snooker World Championship over Covid-19 health concerns. Hamilton, who suffers from asthma, spoke about his concerns for the event a few days before the start of the tournament, and said that he came close to withdrawing from the event prior to the qualifiers (which were played behind closed doors).

The withdrawal was announced by snooker chairman Barry Hearn, and confirmed by Hamilton via a statement on the World Snooker Tour’s official website. It read: “It has been a really difficult decision for me. I was extremely impressed by the way that WST and their partners ran the qualifying rounds, they made the players feel totally safe. And I realise they have followed all of the government guidelines and implemented extensive measures for the main event at the Crucible. However due to my health condition, after careful consideration I have decided not to play in the final stages.”

The event is among three pilots designed to test whether spectators can return to sporting fixtures after the Covid-19 pandemic, and it is the only one that will take place indoors. Hamilton had criticised this move: “Let’s say one person gets ill and dies from the Crucible – it’s one person who died for no reason at all, just for entertainment. I think it’s ridiculous.”

Why did he now withdraw then instead of knocking someone else out and stopping them earning a living, instead of withdrawing afterwards so that we’re a player short?

– Barry Hearn

However, Trump believes that there was enough notice for Hamilton to make what he called a less “selfish” decision. He said: “I find it very hard on the other people that he has taken the opportunity from. I think this was announced with enough time to know that there was going to be a crowd during this tournament. Before the qualifying starter, he should have just pulled out completely and given someone else a chance. He was playing under no pressure to qualify when everyone was trying their life out to get there.

“If I was Scott Donaldson [who Hamilton beat in qualifying], I’d be very annoyed. On one hand, he had the chance to beat him and you could say he was beaten fair and square. But Anthony Hamilton will have known in the back of his head that he wasn’t playing in this event so he had no pressure compared to some of the other players, including Scott, who is trying his life out to get there for the second time. Anthony was on a free roll, with no pressure knowing that he isn’t going to turn up, which is completely unfair and I don’t think any player should be that selfish to do that.

“World Snooker have already put on a couple of tournaments and they have given people more opportunities than any other sport at the moment. It is fantastic what they are doing, but people need to think of the bigger picture sometimes and try not to be selfish and give others the opportunity to provide as well. There is a lot of money to be played for in this tournament. A low of the low ranked players struggle to put food on the table and especially with things going on, you’ve got to try and earn a living.”

The late notice of the withdrawal also angered Hearn, who said: “The question I pose is why did he not withdraw before the qualifying competition, because by getting through the qualifiers he has effectively stopped someone else from going and earning a living. He entered a competition knowing while he was in that competition, he knew there was going to be fans present. Why did he now withdraw then instead of knocking someone else out and stopping them earning a living, instead of withdrawing afterwards so that we’re a player short? Kyren Wilson [Hamilton’s first-round opponent] gets a bye. [Hamilton] knew the situation. He hasn’t had asthma that started yesterday. He’s had asthma and health issues for some time.”