fast fashion

The pandemic has increased demand for fast fashion: we must resist temptation

The pandemic has affected our lives in pretty much every way possible. With our favourite clothing stores shut, how are we supposed to fuel our need for new garments? Well, many people have taken to online stores, most of which are huge contributors to the fast fashion crisis. Whilst our planet may be healing in other ways, the boom in online shopping is doing more harm then ever before. 

So, we are trapped at home with nowhere to go, the days seem to be merging into one, and we are slowly getting more and more bored. Isn’t that just the perfect time and excuse to update your wardrobe? I’m sure online giants such as Pretty Little Thing and Boohoo couldn’t be happier. 

Fast fashion is one of the biggest contributors to the climate crisis at the moment and the pandemic isn’t helping

How could you ignore the big “SALE” banners? There’s even extended shipping and free delivery. You don’t need to leave your house, you don’t need to do anything really, beyond providing your card details. The problem is that this is where most people’s worries end. It doesn’t matter who made your clothes or where they were shipped from. They are affordable, cute, and will likely no longer be in fashion next season. Fast fashion is one of the biggest contributors to the climate crisis at the moment and the pandemic isn’t helping.

Shopping in person is a whole different experience. You can get a feel for the clothes and even try them on. This means that even if you do shop at fast fashion stores you are likely going to buy less items than you would online. As people are becoming more eco-conscious, an increasing amount of companies are offering eco-friendlier and more sustainably-made clothes. This is great. However, since these clothes cost more to produce, they are often more expensive. I think people are less likely to buy from an online store that they have probably never heard of, especially when the clothes are several times more expensive than those in the sale on ASOS.

It is much easier to stay afloat in these uncertain times when you are an international giant to be found on every high street out there

However, if you could physically visit the shop, it may be another story. Small boutiques are often extremely welcoming and provide you with a great shopping experience. If you can try the item on, you are more likely to fall in love and purchase it. My fear is that many small businesses which have been working so hard to make their products more ethically sourced will not survive the pandemic. It is much easier to stay afloat in these uncertain times when you are an international giant to be found on every high street out there. 

Of course, as students, it’s easy to go for the cheapest thing there is. But it’s worth considering the bigger picture if you can. So next time you go to buy five new dresses, consider if this is really necessary. It would be better to invest in one you could have for many years to come. Or maybe you could revamp some old clothes, a perfect pastime considering we are still in lockdown. Whatever the aftermath of the pandemic has in store for us (pun intended), how we shop now can help to shape a better future.