cambridge
Image: Pixabay

University of Cambridge moves all face-to-face lectures online next academic year

The University of Cambridge has moved all face-to-face lectures online until Summer 2021. 

There will be no face-to-face lectures next academic year; however, the university said “it may be possible to host smaller teaching groups in person”, in line with social distancing requirements. 

In a statement, Cambridge said: “The university is constantly adapting to changing advice as it emerges during this pandemic.

“Given that it is likely that social distancing will continue to be required, the university has decided there will be no face-to-face lectures during the next academic year.

“Lectures will continue to be made available online and it may be possible to host smaller teaching groups in person, as long as this conforms to social distancing requirements. 

“This decision has been taken now to facilitate planning, but as ever, will be reviewed should there be changes to official advice on coronavirus.”

In March, the university announced the move to online teaching and exams, along with other universities across the UK. 

The University of Manchester also announced that lectures will be online for the first term of the next academic year. 

Chief executive of the Office for Students, Nicola Dandridge, said universities need to provide students with “absolute clarity”, as to how teaching will be delivered before they accept university offers. 

“What we don’t want to see are promises that it’s all going to be back to usual – an on-campus experience – when it turns out that’s not the case,” she said.