Image: The Boar

BREAKING: All “non-critical” activities on Warwick campus to be suspended

All “non-critical” activities at the University of Warwick’s campus are to be suspended from tomorrow.

In a video, vice-chancellor Stuart Croft said: “From Friday (20 March) we are going to suspend all non-critical campus activities and move to remote and online working.

“It’s not closure, because there will be some critical activities that will need to continue on campus.” 

He further asked all non-critical staff “please do not come into work”.

Asked by The Boar whether there would be building closures tomorrow, including the Library*, the University said “yes”.

The vice-chancellor outlined four commitments amid the COVID-19 pandemic, including “safeguarding health”, “making sure our students graduate”, “protecting jobs” and “being a good neighbour”. 

He added that he “does not know” whether graduation this year will happen but said that “we need to move to remote and online working where possible”.

Mr Croft also assured staff that the University would “not be laying people off”. The COVID-19 pandemic and associated disruption is expected to cost the university £30 million, he said.

He further added that during this period, staff and students of the University should seek to be a “good neighbour” in the local communities around them, particularly helping the elderly and caring for the children of emergency service workers.

*UPDATE (20/03/2020 12:15PM): The Library at this time will be remaining open until midnight on Sunday.

“Due to the Government’s advice relating to Covid-19, the Library will be suspending all of its campus activities until further notice from midnight on Sunday 22 March. Online services will be maintained and developed,” the Library has stated on Twitter.
Online services will continue to be available, including access to the collection of e-resources and online enquiries.
Books will no longer be able to returned and so loan periods will be extended, and there will be a “fines amnesty”.
The Library’s full update can be read here: https://warwick.ac.uk/services/library/coronavirus-guidance-library