Dear ‘me’ from a year ago

Hey you. It’s you (kind of) – it’s you from the future. I can see how excited how you are about heading off to Warwick in September. You’re right to be. You’re going to be so happy there.

I’ve got some advice to share with you that might help you out when you get to Warwick that will hopefully make your experience far easier. This might stop you from regretting certain things later on, so I hope you’ll have a break from being your usual stubborn self for a few minutes and take it all in.

I’ll start with this. You’re going to mellow out more than you expect. First-year won’t be much like Year 13 as nothing counts towards your degree and there’s nowhere near as much pressure. You don’t have to treat the work you do like it’s your A-Levels. Don’t stress about not doing the same level of independent study on Chaucer as you would have had to if it was an A-Level text. You won’t be examined on it anyway.

Look after your things, please

Getting a 2:1 instead of a First is fine. It means you did well. Leave your perfectionism at home.

Remember how you’ve always wanted to have a radio show? Don’t worry about whether or not you have a ‘radio voice’, just go and get yourself one. Go to RAW’s events in Freshers’ Week, get trained and get yourself on air straightaway.

Buy your milk and eggs from Aldi as they’re much cheaper. Speaking of eggs, please either carry them home or put them at the top of your shopping bag as any sensible person would. Don’t be an idiot and put things on top of them. You’ll end up ruining one of the reusable bags Mum bought you with half your food covered in egg yolk.

You’ll be pleasantly surprised by how kind people can be

When making porridge, if you’ve been cooking it for a while and it still doesn’t look like porridge, it’s because it’s too watery. Pour in more oats instead of thinking you’re too impractical to even make porridge.

Look after your things, please. You lose far too many of them and if you’re not careful, you’ll spend a lot of money replacing them all. Also, losing a purse is a lot of hassle. Lock your door every time you leave your room, even if you’re just popping to the kitchen. Your Resident Tutor will also tell you this, but please listen, even if seems unnecessary.

People can be nice, you know. You’ll be pleasantly surprised by how kind people can be. You’ll also do far better socially than you think.

It’s about the opportunities you get and the people you meet

You’re in a relationship at the moment, aren’t you? I hate to break it to you, but you won’t be for much longer. It’s okay, though. You’ll be surprised at how it affects you much less than you imagined. Also, your idea of your ‘type’ is rubbish as you’ll date outside of it and you’ll find you quite like it.

There’s someone I mentioned earlier who will reveal himself quite quickly after your breakup and you’ll like him more than you expect to. When that happens, don’t be scared. Keep your head on as you’re allowed to move on quickly if you feel ready to. We’re infamously bad at talking too much about guys we like. Just watch how much you go on about him, yeah? One more thing on him. Hold him tightly. There’ll come a time when you can’t see him for nine weeks and it’s as excruciating as it sounds.

That’s about all. Work hard, but not too hard. University isn’t all about your degree. It’s about the opportunities you get and the people you meet. Live big and have as much fun as you can.