health and safety
Image: The Boar / Nicole Karageorgi

Warwick acquired over £19,000 from behavioural and health and safety fines in 2018/19

The University of Warwick acquired a total of £19,625 during the 2018/19 academic year from 224 fines for behavioural and health and safety offences under on-campus residential regulations.

A Freedom of Information (FoI) request sent by The Boar revealed a 27% decrease in the number of fines issued in 2018/19 in relation to the previous year.

A total of 161 behavioural offences and 63 health and safety offences were fined last academic year, compared to 205 behavioural offences and 80 health and safety offences in 2017/18.

The reduction in the number of fines carried a decrease of £2,870 from the year before, raised via disciplinary action under Regulation 27 On-Campus Residential Accommodation.

Warwick utilises several fine tariffs for behavioural offences, which range from £25 for anti-social behaviour with a minor impact up to £250 for possession and use of illegal substances.

Health and safety related fines range between £50 and £150 for offences such as misusing fire equipment, failing to evacuate following a fire alarm activation or smoking in a prohibited area.

The University of Warwick issued 161 behavioural offences and 63 health and safety offences in 2018/19

18 students reoffended and were disciplined one additional time. Fewer than five students received more than two fines over the 2018/19 academic year.

The University of Warwick also employs other penalties, such as written warnings, requirement to apologise or temporary suspension of certain privileges.

Fewer than five students were disciplined for behavioural offences again after a written warning. A total of 33 formal written warnings were sent by the University in 2018/19, only three more than the previous year.

In 2016/17, the number of written warnings sent was 70, double that of 2017/18 and 2018/19. In contrast, the number of fines issued was lower, with 64 fines less than in the next year. In 2016/17, the University of Warwick collected £18,575 from these fines.

According to the FoI, the money raised through disciplinary fines are placed “into student welfare funds for student hardship grants” for access to learning.

No students were suspended in the past three academic years for behavioural or health and safety misconduct.