anti-social behaviour
Image: William Murphy / Flickr

Anti-social behaviour leading to fines for university students in Belfast

Queen’s University Belfast (QUB) and Ulster University (UU) have fined 58 students for anti-social behaviour since the start of the 2018 academic year in the Holyland area.

The fines are the result of complaints from residents of the neighbourhood, where approximately 1,000 students have a term-time address, according to the BBC.

UU has fined 25 students since the start of the 2018/2019 academic year and amassed £1,400 out of 17 of those fines due last year.

QUB has fined 33 students since August 1 2018 with a total amount collected of £4,900.

A total of 268 cases involving QUB students living in the Holyland area have been under investigation since 2018 up to this academic year.

A sum of 113 individuals were sent warnings about their behaviour and 33 were fined.

UU has fined 25 students since the start of the 2018/2019 academic year and amassed £1,400 out of 17 of those fines due last year

UU has issued 111 written warnings to students living in the area since the start of the 2018/2019 academic year until early November.

In addition, UU has suspended three students in the Holyland area for anti-social behaviour throughout the last and current academic year.

In a statement, QUB said: “Queen’s will fully investigate any complaints or reports of anti-social behaviour.

“A strict off-campus disciplinary code is in place, and if any Queen’s student is found to have brought the university into disrepute, they are subject to the full rigours of this code.”

Prof Duncan Morrow, UU’s director of community engagement, said: “Ulster University has robust disciplinary procedures in place to deal with any incidences of anti-social behaviour.

“Our community relations team continues to work with the PSNI, Belfast City Council and local residents to respond to any complaints.

A strict off-campus disciplinary code is in place, and if any Queen’s student is found to have brought the university into disrepute, they are subject to the full rigours of this code

– Queen’s University Belfast

“Each complaint is reviewed on a case-by-case basis and is fully investigated by senior university staff.

“If appropriate and sufficient evidence is provided, the university will respond appropriately, ranging from providing advice, instruction, cautions and fines to academic suspension or expulsion.”

Warwick also utilizes several fine tariffs for behavioural offences, which range from £25 for anti-social behaviour with a minor impact, up to £250 for possession and use of illegal substances.

Anti-social behaviour offences with a moderate impact are fined within the range of £75 – £100, while a major impact will entail a fine of £100 – £150.