Coronavirus impact on the environment

The impact of the coronavirus outbreak on the environment

As vast numbers of countries enter a full-scale lockdown, our planet is finally showing signs of recovery, bringing hope that it is not too late to reverse the effects of climate change.

Measures put in place to reduce the spread of COVID-19 have had a staggering impact on air pollution. Carbon dioxide emissions have reportedly dropped by 50% in New York City, whilst both China and Italy have seen dramatic falls in levels of nitrogen dioxide. Greenhouse gas emissions have also fallen by 25% in China, saving the lives of up to 73,000 adults over 70 and 4,000 children under 5. These figures show that our planet has the potential to heal itself, if only we let it. In fact, these aren’t the only signs of environmental recovery.

Our planet is finally showing signs of recovery, bringing hope that it is not too late to reverse the effects of climate change

The water in the Venice canals is running clear for the first time in sixty years, as wildlife such as swans and dolphins return to the famous Italian waterways. Hotel owner Floria Beggiato said: “We Venetians have the feeling that nature has returned and is taking back possession of the city.” Mrs Beggiato believes that the lockdown should encourage a period of reflection upon how to “find a balance between the city and tourism”. The clear waters are prompting reminiscence of the ancient city’s past natural beauty. Local architect Franco Fabris said: “When I was a kid growing up, there were far less boats in the canals and lots of kids would jump in and go swimming”. The canals of Venice are finally starting to return to their former beauty,  providing hope of a cleaner future for one of Italy’s most popular tourist destinations.

The effects of the pandemic have also shown the possibility for nations to work together to fight a common crisis. The extensive public support for social distancing, the reduction in travel (particularly aviation) and the burning of fossil fuels have had an undoubtedly positive influence on the environment. However, they have also had a highly damaging impact on our economy, our mental health and relationships. The World Health Organisation has said: “The sudden and near-constant stream of news reports about an outbreak can cause anyone to feel worried.” Social distancing will be challenging for everyone, but particularly those who already struggle with mental health conditions. During this lockdown especially, it is natural to feel anxious and overwhelmed. The stringent measures taken to protect our physical health prove just how difficult it is to sacrifice our routines and human interactions.

The effects of the pandemic have also shown the possibility for nations to work together to fight a common crisis

We are nearly three weeks into an almost complete lockdown of the United Kingdom, and yet a proportion of the population is still failing to adhere to the rules and regulations set out to protect us. If people cannot follow government guidelines when there is such an immediate threat to life, how can we possibly assume that they would go to such extremes to combat the climate crisis? Yet, with just a decade left until we reach a series of tipping points and climate change becomes irreversible, the environment cannot simply be ignored. 

New research from the Global Carbon Project suggests that the coronavirus could prompt the most dramatic decrease in emissions of greenhouse gases since the end of the Second World War. The predicted global fall in carbon emissions of 5% year-on-year would be the first decrease of any sort, since the financial crisis of 2008. However, unfortunately, unless governments impose stricter policies, the positive effects of the coronavirus outbreak on the environments will be short-term. As nations recover from the pandemic, the risk of increasing carbon emissions is high, as nations race to restart their economies. Yet, whilst these changes might not last, we can hope that the lessons learned will inspire a long-term increase in eco-consciousness.

Unless governments impose stricter policies, the positive effects of the coronavirus outbreak on the environments will be short-term

International environmental charity Greenpeace has highlighted the measures governments should be taking to create a greener economy, tackling the climate crisis in conjunction with this pandemic. They are strongly advocating that governments direct the trillions that are currently being fed into the global economy into “clean industries… rather than propping up old industries that are causing the other great crisis – the climate and nature crisis.” The charity stresses the importance of using this crisis to remind us of “the connectedness of our planet” and carrying this ethos forwards in the long-term battle against climate change.

Reduced travel and social distancing have had a significant impact on the lives of every person on the planet. If we act now, collaboratively and with due urgency, we can undertake far less drastic measures than those we are currently facing due to COVID-19, in order to combat climate change. However, if we choose to revert back to our original habits, climate change will become irreversible.

The coronavirus has shown us that there is still just enough time for the Earth to heal itself, so long as we act now.

As a collective, we must recognise the importance of taking smaller measures now, in order to prevent the need for vastly more stringent regulations in as little as a decade’s time. 

Consider:

• Your food habits (eat local produce, reduce meat consumption, be conscious of your food waste).
  • Your shopping habits (limit your contribution to the fast fashion industry, switch to reusable bags).
  • Your daily choices (recycle, aim to minimise unnecessary travel, consider your water and electricity usage). 

The COVID-19 outbreak has caused a devastating impact on the world population that cannot possibly be outweighed by the environmental benefits. However, it is vital that we choose to seek the good and aim to learn lessons from this pandemic. The coronavirus has shown us that there is still just enough time for the Earth to heal itself, so long as we act now.