York
Image: Wikimedia Commons / Johnteslade

University of York launches coronavirus emergency fund for students

The University of York has launched an emergency student support fund in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Students will be able to apply for up to £500 to help with housing, food, travel and technology costs associated with online learning.

The University claims it is the first in the UK to provide this kind of fund for students.

The fund is being supported through donations from alumni, friends and supporters of the university, and will be released in several rounds to ensure those most in need receive help.

Professor Charlie Jeffrey, vice-chancellor of the University of York, said: “The world faces an unprecedented challenge and we are doing all we can to help our students through this incredibly difficult time.

“We are able to react quickly to the crisis because of the support of our very many generous donors who also wish to help those students in greatest need at this time.”

We are able to react quickly to the crisis because of the support of our very many generous donors who also wish to help those students in greatest need at this time

He also confirmed that the university will monitor requests and “try our best to respond in a timely way”.

All current students who are registered at the university on a degree programme are eligible to apply for the funding.

Each application will be assessed on its own merits – however, if demand exceeds the funding available, certain groups of students will be prioritised.

This includes students who are carers, have disabilities and long-term health conditions and those with refugee or asylum-seeker status. Those currently studying a medical or nursing programme, or those with children, will also be given priority.

Mary Haworth, director of philanthropic partnerships and alumni at the university, said: “We are so grateful to the community of benefactors who have made it possible for us to provide immediate assistance to our students.

“We will monitor the requests for emergency funding from our students over the coming weeks and will try our best to respond in a timely way to help with some of the financial pressures that our UK and overseas students might face as a consequence of the coronavirus pandemic.”