Coventry Student Accommodation
Image: Flickr

Coventry University calls for more accommodation as student numbers rise

Coventry University (CU) has told councillors that more purpose-built student accommodation will be needed in the city to satisfy demand.

According to CoventryLive, the University’s head of accommodation, Obi Okwuadigbo, expressed this desire to the City Council during a meeting on Thursday 20 February.

This comes as it is revealed that the number of purpose-built student accommodation has risen from 4,100 beds in 2012 to approximately 15,000 by the end of this year.

The number of CU students has also been rising, from 25,500 in 2017 to around 31,000 at the end of 2019, an increase of 21%.

At the meeting, Mr Okwuadigbo said: “The University absolutely has a target to continue to increase its student intake.

“We know due to the demographic issues there’s less 18-year-olds available for the next couple of years and therefore all universities are fighting for a smaller pool than before.

“But come 2023/24 there’s a sudden spike and at that point is there’s likely to be more pressures on student accommodation and a requirement for further student accommodation.”

It is currently unknown where this accommodation would be built.
“At this point we are not discouraging further development.”

The number of CU students has been rising, from 25,500 in 2017 to around 31,000 at the end of 2019, an increase of 21%

It has been suggested that the site of the Coventry IKEA may be used for student housing when it closes in the summer.

Housing officers at the council have called for more purpose-built student accommodation as a means of reducing the number of students renting from private landlords.

This is intended to free up more housing for local families.

Jim Crawshaw, head of housing at Coventry City Council, said: “Although there is an increase in the number of students into the city that also means there is a number of properties that are becoming available that were formerly used as student accommodation which can be used for other purposes.”

Mr Okwuadigbo noted that there has been a “significant drop” in the number of CU students entering private rented accommodation, from around 2,500 in 2010 to 800 today.