Refreshers/ Image: Unsplash

New year, new start: a refreshers guide

Perhaps you haven’t got on with your flatmates as well as you’d hoped? Perhaps the society you were so excited to join turned out to be too cliquey? Well, the new term (in a new year and new decade, to boot) marks the opportunity to start again – but what exactly should you do? The freshers’ period may be gone, but you can still make the most of your university experience this refreshers season.

You may believe that term two is far too late to join a new society and actually feel like you fit in, but I can promise that this isn’t true. I never got involved with The Boar until partway through term three of my first year, yet I never felt unwelcome or different. Most societies are always eager to meet new people and not joining on day one is not an issue.

A better solution may be to choose something you’ve never tried before

The bigger question is how to set about finding a new society. If you’re a fresher, there’s every chance you joined at least 20 after the Societies Fair, or at least expressed interest in that many but you should look at some of the ones you didn’t bother with and give them a go. If you’re unsure, take a look on the Student’s Union (SU) website at the list of all the societies and sports clubs, and see what seems attractive to you. Or, a better solution may be to choose something you’ve never tried before – university is the time for these new experiences, so why not try something different this refreshers season? I’ve been to events as varied as dance showcases, political hustings and diamond cutting classes, just because I could.

Getting involved is incredibly simple. Some societies may hold refreshers events which you can just go along to. Look at the SU wall planner or their events page and you’ll find tons of things listed. Something is sure to appeal. If you have a particular society in mind, keep up with their social media and look at the events they’re offering. If you’re still unsure or you have any questions about exactly what a society offers, message them and ask those questions. Most societies are lovely and always willing to help. Everyone involved in a society had to take that step to join, and they’ll be willing to help you if it’s what you want.

I’ve discovered incredible things just by keeping my eyes open

You don’t have to join societies and clubs to do something as Warwick offers so much more. The SU runs plenty of events (not of all of which are centred around alcohol.) You can get involved with your department too. If it’s anything like the French department which I get involved with, there’s always a lot going on and, as it’s the subject you’re studying, these things are likely to be of some interest to you. Look at posters scattered around campus, look at the digital signage screens and any emails you get – I’ve discovered incredible things just by keeping my eyes open. If you’re proactive and open to new experiences, you can discover a lot.

My advice for friendship does follow on from this. If you don’t get along with your flatmates, bear in mind that you don’t need to hang around with them. Ask the person sitting next to you in your seminar how their weekend was or chat with one of the exec members at a social. These steps may be small at first but small steps do add up. If you’re in a situation where you feel comfortable and happy, friendship tends to follow. Everyone at Warwick is in the same boat as you, and they’ll likely be as glad for a chat and a friendly face as you.

It’s important to stress that not finding your groove yet is not a problem in the slightest. Warwick is such a busy place and it offers so much, so it’s only natural that it takes some time to find your way. Don’t be deterred but instead reflect on the term that has passed and ask yourself what you’re going to do next.