A guide to autumnal getaways around the United Kingdom

Where are the best places to go during autumn in the UK?

Finally, autumn – the best season – is here! I can never understand how people get so excited over summer in the UK, when the weather can be so unpredictable. In contrast, autumn doesn’t confuse us: we say goodbye to the hit-or-miss weather and welcome the cooler, refreshing temperatures. If you are, however, gutted about the lack of BBQs, pub gardens and everlasting sunshine, here’s some alternatives to make the most of the autumn season in the United Kingdom.

I think it is the perfect time to get outdoors in the United Kingdom, with morning walks in the countryside being a good option if you want to experience the delights of autumnal colour

For walks under the autumn leaves, I highly recommend visiting the Cotswolds. There’s something pretty about the orangey-brown aesthetic at this time of year, with early sunsets and damp mornings being the tell-tale image of the season. I think it is the perfect time to get outdoors in the UK, with morning walks in the countryside being a good option if you want to experience the delights of autumnal colour. The Cotswolds is one of my favourite places to visit, as I recall many childhood Sunday morning strolls amongst some of the most vibrant woodlands and landscapes. If you’re not a fan of long treks, but still want that autumnal Instagram post, I can assure you that there are plenty of pubs and cafés to stop off at along the way.

If you’re a lover of the 5th November and are looking for somewhere to celebrate Bonfire Night, consider a night in Sussex. The Lewes event is the one to watch out for, with seven societies in the village hosting individual bonfire effigies and firework displays. So, if you’re a fan of music, parades, fancy dress and bonfires, this is the place for you.

Wrap up warm, grab a pack of sparklers and head over to Kenilworth to watch the sky light up

Kenilworth Castle hosts an annual firework display that’s not to be missed. This one is easily doable if you are a student at Warwick University. Wrap up warm, grab a pack of sparklers and head over to Kenilworth to watch the sky light up. Here you will see a wide array of pyrotechnics, all situated above a beautifully lit castle. Make sure you get a ticket prior to the event on Saturday November 2nd, as all the money raised will be going back into the community and to charities.

If you’re a thrill seeker, I would say there is no better place to celebrate Halloween than Alton Towers. If you’ve never experienced the horrors of the popular Scarefest and are brave enough to face the scare mazes, I highly recommend them. With two chilling attractions new to 2019 – ‘The Attic: Terror of the Towers’ and ‘Darkest Depths’ – the resort has outdone itself this year with its live action attractions; but, be warned, they are not for the faint hearted. If you aren’t a fan of these kind of things, the regular rides are just as good at this time of year. The park is also open until 9pm so guests can ride the rollercoasters well into the night and still experience the spooky décor and flash mobs.

The panoramic views from the castle are truly breathtaking as the city undergoes the seasonal transformation into an assortment of colours

With reading week coming up, why not opt for a casual city break in Edinburgh? I may be biased – since it is one of my favourite cities – but let it be known that Scotland’s capital is particularly charming during autumn. The panoramic views from the castle are truly breathtaking as the city undergoes the seasonal transformation into an assortment of colours. Home to the largest arts festival in the world, it is no surprise that the theatre scene is booming, even though it is not the official Fringe season. Stand-up, musicals, plays and more are all raring to go, offering superb entertainment in the comfort of a warm theatre. With an abundance of shops, cosy pubs, classy restaurants and snug cafes, Edinburgh is by far the best place to visit if you’re looking for a weekend break in the autumn.