Homesick/ Image: Unsplash

How to cope with homesickness at university

After months of eagerly anticipating the move to university, it can be a shock to the system when a pit forms in your stomach and you realise that you would rather be at home. Homesickness is inevitable at university. Transitioning into a new life at a new place with new people is always going to be difficult, and for most students, this is made even more daunting by the fact that they have never lived away from home before. The safety net of your family and school friends has been snatched away, and that can be a pretty scary experience.

But it’s also a very common experience. Almost everyone on campus has, or will experience homesickness during their university life. And for many, that experience is faced in first year. I remember the exact moment when my family had left after moving me in, and I realised for the first time that I was completely alone at Warwick. I didn’t know anyone, I didn’t know the campus, and I definitely didn’t know what to expect. In a short time, I found myself wishing I was anywhere but here.

But, like most students, I got through this awkward transition phase. I did get to know people. I (eventually) learned my way around the campus. I was okay in the end. Realistically, the best antidote to homesickness is time. You will need time to settle into any new place, and that is fine.

There are some tips that I found helpful when easing myself into university life when I was struggling with homesickness.

Organise meet-ups with home friends and family members. Have an event to look forward to! I’m not suggesting you spend hours a day on the phone to home, because you do want to challenge yourself to find some independence. But it doesn’t hurt to remind yourself every now and then that home is just a phone call away: it’ll be there when you get back.

Surround yourself with things that you find comforting – that blanket you like, photos of pals, some of that laundry detergent your mum always uses. Bringing things with you that feel, taste, or smell familiar will help make your new abode feel much homier.

Don’t hole yourself up in your room. Trust me, the one way of guaranteeing that you feel isolated is to isolate yourself. Taking some time for yourself can be a great thing, but if you’re struggling, sometimes the worst thing you can do is sit alone with your thoughts. If you really don’t want to head out (because let’s face it, sometimes you just can’t face getting out of your PJs and into the world), leave your door open for a bit! You can bet that at some point a flatmate will wander on by and you can entrap them in a conversation!

Make an effort with your flatmates, and try to be confident! They may not end up being your best friends, but they are people who happen to be in exactly the same boat as you. Having a quick natter with them, even about something trivial, can be really uplifting when you’re feeling lonely.

The most important thing to remember is that these things take time – and you can bet that every other student on campus has felt that same sense of homesickness at some point during university. It’s completely normal to miss home but ultimately, the best way to combat homesickness is to make a real effort to embrace university life. Throw yourself into a new society, explore the campus and the local area, and try your hardest with your studies. As soon as you start making new relationships with people and settling into your work, you will find that you no longer miss home – because you will be exactly where you want to be!

If you are particularly impacted by homesickness at university or any other issue, there is support available with the Wellbeing Support Services at Warwick